Logo

Stiff shifting and engine stalling.

Serf27

Hello everyone.

my 1984 OMC stringer(unsure if this is the right place, parts catalog lists Evinrude Johnson parts)
3.8l v6.

My previous lower gear case went bad. I used the boat once and then needed a new lower case. During this 1 use, it was shifting fine into gear and neutral.

I ordered a used lower case and installed it. It actually went on better than my old one. My old one, if I was in reverse and wanted to shift into neutral, I had to nudge the throttle a little into drive to pop out of reverse.

New drive shifts into all gears accordingly.

While on the water this weekend, it launched fine(only went into drive, didn’t try reverse). As I approached a beach area, it was incredibly stiff to shift into reverse. Once it reverse, it came hard to shift back into neutral/drive.

On land, it seems ok. Anyone know what’s going on?
main shift cable is good, shift cable to throttle is new.
I’ve read to use a fish scale to check the resistance of the individual cables on the main line. 2lb maximum?

as for the dying issue:

2 weeks ago with my old drive and a loaded boat,(6 passengers) the engine would die at 4k rpm and the max rpm I could constantly stay at was 2K rpm.
Yesterday, with 1 passenger, we were going at 3800 rpm and it was fine for about 30 minutes. Then I managed to dock at the beach area after struggling with the gears. On my way to the dock, the engine started dying like before and would only allow 2K rpm again.

I pulled the top half of the carb off, the needle valve tip looks new, I did not check float height.

New carb fuel filter, new fuel water separator, new main fuel line to pump, clear fuel tank vent.

I’ve ordered a carb rebuild kit and an electric fuel pump to see if this fixes the fueling issue.

Cylinder compression was also at 150psi on all 6 cyl but the manual is saying 125psi.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Back