Logo

Steering stiff while boat operating 1995 88hp

west500

I just replaced the steering helm and cable 88 johnson on 95 Seapro 17'. The steering turns smoothly while the boat is not moving, but when I accelerate the steeing seems to be harder to turn, it will turn but not very smoothly. I don't remember the steering was this stiff before the changeout of the helm and cable. Is this normal or adjustments needed? Thanks in advance.

Re: Steering stiff while boat operating

If the engine turns smoothly and easily in one direction BUT not the other, someone has moved the trim tab on the lower unit out of its proper position.

If the engine turns hard in either direction when underway, I would suspect that something is allowing the engine to move forward, usually within the lower portion of the swivel bracket when thrust is applied resulting in a binding action.

Also, if you are using dual steering cables, having one or the other adjusted too tightly will result in a tight movement scenario.

Last edited:
I'm having this problem with my 98 Johnson 115, with no feedback teleflex steering. would I be able to see movement or is it more minute than that?

Back