Logo

Steering loose on Alpha 1 Gen 2

harddrive

Hey Guys,

I have a Alpha 1 Gen 2 with hydraulic steering. It's paired to a Merc 1.7 diesel engine.

When I'm going at low speed like 5 mph inside the harbor, the steering is very loose. I have to constantly go back and forth on the steering wheel to stay on course.

Any idea on how to tighten that up?

Thanks,

Harddrive

When I'm going at low speed like 5 mph inside the harbor, the steering is very loose. I have to constantly go back and forth on the steering wheel to stay on course.

Any idea on how to tighten that up?

Ayuh,... That's called V-hull wander,...

Usually less operator input cures it,....

It Ain't loose steering...

I agree with Bondo,

But how many hours are on your boat?

Are you driving with the drive up or down? All the way down will minimize this issue.

If you have high hours and or want to check something out then look at the slop in the outdrive side to side.

with the motor OFF!!!!!! and the outdrive all the way down grab the outdrive with both hands, push it side to side and see how much slop it present.
I would say anymore than 1/8 inch of total slop the gimbal ring may need attention.

This slop is not part of the sterring cable it is only at the gimbal ring to steering pin the gimbal ring is "pinched" to. there are two stainless steel shoulder bolts that pinch the gimbal ring to the steering pin. This is the area of concern. The bolts can be tightened but only as much as the the shoulders allow. when there are no more threads that is all you have to tighten the gimbal ring to the steering pin. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THESE, it will crack the gimbal ring.......

if all is good then it is what is is.........

see below

Last edited:
Totally agee with Bondo and kghost. I posted a question similar to yours about a year ago and got pretty much the same response. Only difference is that I replaced everything for the most part new. My boat does the same thing and if you trim down, it is not as bad. Usually occurs in shallow water, heavy boat traffic and no wake zone. Only problem with trimming down is that you have to have enough water under your boat so as not to hit bottom. Not hard to do especially when you try and do it in a shallow back bay on a windy day with the top up! lol Anyway, I am sure you are aware of this but figured I would mention it. There is supposed to be a little side to side play but not too much. I hate long no wake zones. It can get tiresome! Hopefully you don't have anything wrong with steering pin, etc. I think I replaced the steering pin on mine and the original had alot of wear along with the gimbal ring. I don't think the previous owner believed in periodic maintenance or using grease guns.lol best of luck, Tom

There is an easy way to get rid of most if not all of your drive slop.You need a set of torches to do this but I have done it many times over the years with no problems.You need to heat the bracket where the 2bolts go through the steering pin.Then tighten each side a little at a time .This will tighten the bracket around the pin and remove the side to side play.I have been repairing boats for over 40 years and have never once had to replace these parts as they have all retightened to remove the slop in the outdrive.

There is an easy way to get rid of most if not all of your drive slop.You need a set of torches to do this but I have done it many times over the years with no problems.You need to heat the bracket where the 2bolts go through the steering pin.Then tighten each side a little at a time .This will tighten the bracket around the pin and remove the side to side play.I have been repairing boats for over 40 years and have never once had to replace these parts as they have all retightened to remove the slop in the outdrive.

Not so. The bolts that pinch the gimbal ring are shoulder bolts. They have only so much thread.
If you remove them first and add an 1/8 inch of threads to bolts, then your solution can work.
Also the gimbal ring is Cast aluminum. Cast tends to be quite brittle as compared to non cast.

Although your solution way have worked for you for your 40 yrs, It may not be a method that should be shared with amatures or unskilled boat owners...
I am sure we who have experience have many tricks but many shouldnt be shared....just my opinion.

Back