Logo

Steering cable help please

Djs556639

I am replacing my helm and floor on my pontoon. I need to remove the steering cable.
The videos i have watched show using a pin etc to remove. My steering only has 1 thick cable running to the steering wheel. Do i remove this at the wheel or back by the motor. Its a Tohatsu 115. 2023. See pictures.

I am replacing my helm and floor on my pontoon. I need to remove the steering cable.
The videos i have watched show using a pin etc to remove. My steering only has 1 thick cable running to the steering wheel. Do i remove this at the wheel or back by the motor. Its a Tohatsu 115. 2023. See pictures.
Sorry. Couldnt attach pictures

It's much easier to remove at the helm. The hardest part about putting it back together is getting the steering wheel where it ends up straight. That might not be an issue depending on your steering wheel, but basically the helm has a gear and the cable has teeth that ride on that gear. You'll basically remove the nut (some have a clip) that holds the cable to the helm. You'll then turn the steering wheel several full rotations to the right as the helm separates from the outer cover of the cable. I'll all make sense once you get at it. The cable inside the helm will be very covered with black grease. Be prepared with lots of rags and something to protext your floor/carpeting.

Back