Logo

starving for fuel?

glorious_one

Avid reader but rarely ask. Any ideas most are most appreciated. I have a 332 amerosport with original 1987 454 crusaders. Keep tuned every year and have had only routine probs until now. I keep the fuel tanks segregated, i.e.,port engine running off of port tank and the starboard on its tank even though i have a crossover valve. On my annual trip to south jersey from phila via del river and bay, my port engine lost power after running approximately 5 miles. Changed out fuel/water seperators, canister filter on block, and small filter on rochester carb. No improvement. Changed out original mechanical fuel pump and installed new fuel line back to water/filters bypassing canister filter. Boat ran about 10 miles @ 3200 rips and then died but would restart but not go over 1200 rpms.in gear. Assumed it was a fuel pick-up in port tank issue so before doing that, i shut off the port tank and using crossover valve, ran both engines off of the starboard tank that has not been a problem. Boat now runs @ 3200 for about 50 minutes and i think i have isolated that the prob must be in port tank and/or pick up tube. Regaining my confidence, I decide to run up the rpms to see if four barrels get enough fuel as well. Boat revs up to 3800 but then dies after about 30 seconds. Limp home (again) on one stbd engine, problem port side will restart but no planning power. Now i am not sure if my original conclusion of a prob fuel pick-up is the issue. Any help getting to my beloved Wildwood, New Jersey pre-paid slip is much appreciated!

Where is the final fuel filter(s) located? They should be AFTER the fuel pump or this is what can happen.

Also, have you changed the in-carb filters? They are easy to plug up seeing how small they are. I recommend a METAL in-line filter after the fuel pump instead (or with NEW) in-carb filters.

Jeff

Well...hmmmmmmmmmm

Perhaps not a gas problem..

Just had a friend who had the same problem......he could run fine but as soon as he went to high power, a few moments later the engine the engine died. We found his distributer cap was all "gummed" up. Changed cap/rotor and he had full power again.

I change my distributer caps every 2 years...(Crusader 350s)

I'm willing to bet a small lunch (no drink or fries) that it's the anti-siphon valve. Same year boat and engines and went through the same thing. It's right on the top of the tank and it might not even look like you have one. "Whatever" the fuel line at the tank connects to is the culprit.

Try running that engine with the gas cap off and see if it's ok. You can clean them but they're cheap, less than $20. I changed both of mine and keep a spare on board.

Bob

I'd suggest a thorough inspection (tuneup) of the problem child as well as the twin. With no maintenance history given, I'd guess it is due. If done this spring, check the parts for quality - some of the cheap stuff; well, let's just say you get what you pay for.

I don't think a 3/8" fuel line will feed a pair of big blocks with both running on the 4 bbls, at least not for long. That cross over valve is designed to let you segregate the tanks, when needed, but not maintain 'full fuel flow' when using only one source.

changing the anti-syphon valves is also a good thing to do. If you hull doesn't need them, eliminating them is an even better idea...

Back