Logo

Starting procedure - user manual

RonN

I acquired a 1960 Marlin Runabout with the original Gale Buccaneer 35 HP Electric motor (I Believe it is model 35DE13B) which is basically a 35 HP Johnson rebranded. There were only 6 of these boats cast then the factory burned down so I would like to keep it as original as possible. The motor has both a pull start and an electric start but the pull start was not working at all (not engaging). I am a bit ok with two stroke engines but not that good so I got an expert to take a look at it. He said he could fix it and took it apart last fall then disappeared (Expert = X- as in an unknown quantity and Spurt - as in a drip under pressure!!!) leaving me the parts. I have it back together and verified the electrical/electronics. The engine turns over well and I think I should at least start it up with the specified 24:1 fuel mixture to get the oil flowing and penetrating (I don't think the motor has run in the last 20 years at least). I have the Parts and Service Manual but not a User's Manual and I do not know the exact starting procedure. Also there are two knobs on the front of the motor that turn out and I do not know the proper settings for them. Just wondering if anyone has a User Manual or at least knows the settings and starting procedure... I am just grateful that I was able to get it all back together and turning over after the "expert" was finished with it...

I see that the upper (smaller knob) is the Low Speed Needle Valve adjuster and the lower knob (larger one) is the High Speed Needle Valve adjuster. Can anyone tell me where these should be set for starting the motor?

Turn the upper knob( low speed) all the way in till it just stops. Then turn it out 2full turns. The lower knob( high speed) do the same but only turn it out about 3/4 of a turn. That should get the motor running and you can adjust as needed from there.
Good luck

Remove flywheel.----Inspectt coils.----Replace condensers.----Clean and set points to 0.020"-----Replace water pump impeller before launching the boat.

Thanks guys. Racer One, is there a procedure anywhere for replacing the water pump impeller? I am assuming that after about 15 years of sitting the rubber is probably unusable. Also, the Service manual names the impeller but does not give part numbers. Is there anywhere I can find the part numbers for the Gale Buccaneer parts - or at least matches?

You tube----Is the modern helper.------Remove plate on side of exhaust housing.-----Remove one bolt on shift rod connecter.-----Remove 7 bolts and remove gearcase.----Pump impeller is the same as found on the Johnson 33 HP models of 1965 to 1970 i think.-----I think I have some vintage Gale parts manuals with the part numbers.----Might sell one if you are interested.----Send me a message.

Back