Logo

Starting problems

Dallas.D

Recently purchased a boat with a 2000 model 50 hp that has inbuilt tank and water traps fuel filters and other **** inline . You could wind it over for half hour Taking plugs out several times to clean ect before it would finally go and it was using twice the fuel my 40 year old 40 hp mariner uses.
So I grabbed a brand new plastic tank and lines and tried that ( thinking it may have been blockage in the inline **** ) and it seemed to fix problem starting , 5 or 6 winds and away it would go .once started I could swap leads back to inbuilt tank with no problem and it went well . Apart from using twice the fuel that my 40 year old 40 hp mariner does !
But last trip coming back in it seemed to pick up a bit of **** in fuel and stopped but I managed to get it going and limp home .
At home tried to start it but when you prime bulb till firm , you can watch the cylinder inline just before carbi , 3 & 1/2 to 4 inches long and as round as ya thumb, fill up till bulb is firm and within 15 seconds it’s all drained out , so ya prime it again and again it drains out , and again and again and again !
Was thinking it was a tear in carbi diaphragm , which was originally just a hole , thus chewing more juice ? Don’t know if that’s even possible but would like to know where all fuel goes and how to fix if possible please . Any help much appreciated

Back