Logo

Starting motor damage

Terry in Ottawa

Contributing Member
Unfortunately, a tree came down and landed on my outboard motor, Johnson 25hp twin J25TEEDA.

The cowling took the brunt of the damage but the top piece of the starting motor broke off and ended up embedded in the engine cowling. When I tried to start it today, the pinion gear would spin and rise up, but not enough to engage with the flywheel.

The following link will show some pictures and a video.

Do I need a new starter or is this repairable? Asking from Eastern Ontario, near Ottawa.

Unfortunately, a tree came down and landed on my outboard motor, Johnson 25hp twin J25TEEDA.

The cowling took the brunt of the damage but the top piece of the starting motor broke off and ended up embedded in the engine cowling. When I tried to start it today, the pinion gear would spin and rise up, but not enough to engage with the flywheel.

The following link will show some pictures and a video.

Do I need a new starter or is this repairable? Asking from Eastern Ontario, near Ottawa.

Have a careful look at the engine block for damage where starter bolts on.---Perhaps the armature is bent.----Perhaps magnets are broken.-----Take starter apart for inspection.----Very easy to work on.-----Contact----evinrudeparts.ca -----for the parts if needed.

Have a careful look at the engine block for damage where starter bolts on.---Perhaps the armature is bent.----Perhaps magnets are broken.-----Take starter apart for inspection.----Very easy to work on.-----Contact----evinrudeparts.ca -----for the parts if needed.
I'll be back at the boat this week and I'll check for that.

I'll be back at the boat this week and I'll check for that.
I haven't got back to the boat yet but I have two more questions. What is the purpose of the vertical post circled in red in the picture, it snapped off my starter and was embedded in the engine cover? The second question is about the black covering, pointed to by the green arrow in the picture. How is it removed, can it be cut off?

normal starting motor (2).jpg

Is the cup at the top of the armature shaft supposed to slide over the circlip? In this picture, the cup stops at the circlip and I think this might be preventing the pinion gear from rising to the proper height

Back