Logo

Starting issues

islandboy123

Contributing Member
Hello
got 270cc sailfish boat with twin mercury 150 4 stroke.
the other day the starboard motor would not start would just hear 1 click and won’t start. So at first I thought it was the power cables from the motor to the junction box at the transom as they look a lil worn out and kinda stiff. So I replace them but same issue.So at the time I did not think on switching switch to combine batteries and yes then It would start. So only starts with the combine switch on. I have 3 batts. So then thought maybe was a weak battery. So what I did was switch batteries from the port to starboard. And same thing would not start with the switch left on regular. Had to switch to combine. Also switch power cables from the port to starboard motor and from the switch and same thing. So far I know it is not the power cables and the batteries for the testing I did . But what I notice if I disconnect the starboard battery power cables from it there would be no power at the key switch to start. I had to connect the power back which should not be. As the batteries should work separately right and still have power at the key switch?
so not sure what is goin on with that part and also why only starting with the combine switch on.
Any ideas what can be ?

Back