Logo

Starting Issue 3.0

donnyg

After 6 hours on the lake with no issues, I tied up to the dock and went to get the trailer. I try to start the boat up and it just whines, not turning over. The sound a car makes when it's already started. Any ideas what would cause this?

motor doesn't turn, just the starter whine.

I just got the boat 3 weeks ago so I'm not to familiar with the engine yet.

Based on what I'm reading....I'd say pull the plugs and turn it over. If it now turns over, you're likely hydrolocked (water drained into cylinder). If still the same noise, I'd assume either your starter motor failed or the solenoid isn't engaging. Sounds like a starter issue to me, though, as a hydrolocked engine typically doesn't turn over, and the starter will act like one on a dying battery. I'm guessing your starter bit the dust.

IT'S NOT TURNING THE MOTOR. if it turns with the plugs out and water comes out of the hole then indeed your hydrolocked.

Hows the oil got water in there?

If with the plugs out, it still doesn't turn take off the drive. And then try the starter. Maybe the drive locked up.

You can't leave water in the motor, this has to be done now, you have maybe 1 or 2 days then that motor is gonna be junk.

Back