Logo

Starter solenoid?

djadds

I have a 2000 Merc 125 outboard that starts in an erratic fashion. It cranks very slowly at first, as if the battery is bad (it's not-it's healthy with a full charge), then finally speeds up and starts the motor. Is this a solenoid issue???
confused.gif

Jumper the top two studs to see if the starter spins normally. If it does replace the solenoid. If it is still slow the problem is either corroded battery cables or worn starter brushes.

Jumper the top two studs to see if the starter spins normally. If it does replace the solenoid. If it is still slow the problem is either corroded battery cables or worn starter brushes.

guyig,

Thanks for the feedback!

My background knowledge in this area is limited, although I've done some maintenance work like replacing filters, impeller, etc..
Would you happen to have a link to an image of 'the top two studs'. I just don't want to 'jumper' the wrong ones!

These starters can not tolerate excessive cranking and the armature is easily damaged.----Quite easy to test the armature yourself with an ohmmeter.-----------Not sure how to do this ?--------Easy for a starter / alternator shop to test it.

Back