Logo

Starter Rope Pulley

Snapper Fisho

Regular Contributor
Hi all, can this lip on the starter rope pulley be repaired before I bin it? Still surprised it broke as I expected it to be the spring only.

Attachments

• Broken starter pulley spring lip.jpg
    Broken starter pulley spring lip.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 30
Yes it can. But compare the cost of a used one to what a welder will charge you. My aluminum Tig rate it $75.00 an hour. Thats a 1-2hr job.

Man, Brian....your expensive, I gotta raise my rates.....but I'm a "mig" guy. I like to keep my left hand free to "scratch my head"......do that alot lately.
Try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. Have model # ready. 2186822331.

Last edited:
Man, Brian....your expensive, I gotta raise my rates.....but I'm a "mig" guy. I like to keep my left hand free to "scratch my head"......do that alot lately.
Try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. Have model # ready. 2186822331.

Thanks Tim but I'm in Australia. You guys have good prices and good part availability unlike us.
I am going to see if I can find an outboard of that vintage first that's not working and then strip it.

Thanks Tim but I'm in Australia. You guys have good prices and good part availability unlike us.
I am going to see if I can find an outboard of that vintage first that's not working and then strip it.

Hold on now....... where in Australia? I spent some time in Perth, Fremantle, Margaret River & Sydney. I could be bribed with the following:Screenshot_20210809-100054_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210809-100019_Chrome.jpg.
Tasty in the morning!

P.S. guess I should mention, sometimes those items are poor quality metal hard to weld. But if a project intrigues me enough or weird enough the price gets negotiated with.:cool:

Last edited:
How 'bout put a nice strong screw in there with a sleeve to bring it to proper diameter. That "tab" doesn't really have to be oval shaped.

Tim that is clever thinking but how will it work as the rope curls in between the 2 thin plates that make up the pulley. If it was solid all the way through it would support a screw with a decent gauge size. Appreciate your effort to help me thanks.

How 'bout put a nice strong screw in there with a sleeve to bring it to proper diameter. That "tab" doesn't really have to be oval shaped.

Hi Tim,
I tried your suggestion and want to thank you as I think this screw repair may work. I went to the biggest gauge I could without cutting across the inner solid base of the pulley. I couldn't drill very deep but it feels strong and I cut the screw head off to the same height as the base. There's no sleeve around it as it just has enough clearance for the spring to slot around it.

Attachments

• Starter Pulley Fix (Large).jpg
    Starter Pulley Fix (Large).jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back