Logo

start over

as advised checked compression on my mariner 50 - way, way down on cyls 2 and 3 - stripped head - inlet valves not making a seal so will sort them -by the way why is a new head gasket £100 +VAT in the UK? - it should be made of solid gold at this price - rip off Britain again, wish I'd emigrated - this country's run by ******* morons

oh and can I reuse the old gasket with hylomar?

andy harding

Before you buy,check out this crowd in Dublin http://www.marineparts.ie/ .
Can we have a competition,? Rip off Ireland V Rip off Britain. Bet you Ireland wins hands down. But these guys are that bit cheaper than the UK at the moment.And our VAT is 21%.
Is that a Yamaha Mariner or a Merc Mariner? If it's a Yamaha Mariner, check the Yamaha dealers for their gasket if you can get a cross ref. Might be a little cheaper.

Before you buy,check out this crowd in Dublin http://www.marineparts.ie/ .
Can we have a competition,? Rip off Ireland V Rip off Britain. Bet you Ireland wins hands down. But these guys are that bit cheaper than the UK at the moment.And our VAT is 21%.
Is that a Yamaha Mariner or a Merc Mariner? If it's a Yamaha Mariner, check the Yamaha dealers for their gasket if you can get a cross ref. Might be a little cheaper.

engine is year 2000 (manufactured march 1999) mariner 4 stroke 50 ELPT belgium engine model no 7F50412 JD parts cat no 803013-40 italy/45 bodensee 50/50 bigfoot (although it is not actually a bigfoot engine) - can you identify if it is a mercury or yamaha mariner from this? - it would be great if I could obtain spares from a yamaha dealer

Last edited:
I was asking if it was a Yamaha mariner as Yamaha built outboards under the Mariner name,which were older Yamahas painted in Mariner colours, up until about '94.But when I checked out your earlier posts I see it was a '99 50,so I'm afraid it's Merc dealer or the likes of marineparts.ie

so you're wsaying it's actually (branded) a mariner - I'm sure mercury used yamaha parts and rebranded them as mercury (or exported as mariners - ie outside US))

Up until mid '90's Yamaha built outboards for Mercury,painted them gray and called them Mariners.Yamaha used their own older models and sold them as "new" Mariners.Up to 60 HP two stroke and 2 cyls. That is why you see 675-xxxxxx for example and made in Japan on the transom bracket.
There are Merc Mariners,sold mainly in the US.
Something to do with trade law in the '90's,not sure exactly what it was,but Mercury 'n' Yamaha parted company.Maybe it had something to do with Yamaha launching on the American market in the mid '80's.
Yamaha still make parts for Mercury and brand them as Mercury, but don't actually build the outboards for them.Outsourcing by Mercury.
Most of the Japanese Mariner were sold outside the US.
Pity Graham Lamb moved to dial-up country 'cause he could give you the whole story and not a mish-mash like this

I just wondered (if yamaha parts are cheaper) whether I could source parts for my mariner 50 from a yamaha (rather than a mercury) dealer - would this save me money? i suppose what I really need to know is whether mariner 50 4 stroke 4's and yamaha 50 4 stroke 4's are actually the same engine or are there differences?

You can search for ----Yamaha -----parts on boats.net---------------------Then you search for mercury parts on ----boats.net --------------compare motors and parts.---------Fairly easy I would say.

You can search for ----Yamaha -----parts on boats.net---------------------Then you search for mercury parts on ----boats.net --------------compare motors and parts.---------Fairly easy I would say.

thanks for your helpful suggestions - we know we have a duff coil but now top end has been overhauled we have an engine that runs well on 2 cyls! - have ordered new coil and will report back!

Back