Logo

Staring at this sierra replacement coil and feeling very dumb

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
OK, I’ve got a replacement coil in hand for my ‘88 20hp. My old coil has two posts, the larger post is for the sparkplug lead. The smaller post is for the primary lead back to the CDI unit.

My new coil has a single post (for the sparkplug lead). Instead of a 2nd post there is a yellow wire that comes out of it with a very small male connector at the end. It also has a ground wire coming out with an eye at the end (no worries there).

I’m confused - I have two orange wires that come out of my CDI one for #1 and the other for coil #2. Thing is, they are wired right into the CDI. I’ve double checked with shop who is telling me I have the right kit. They said I should not need to solder but I didn’t see a way around it if the new (yellow) wire is supposed to mate with the one of the orange wires out of the CDI. Am I missing something obvious???

See pic:

9B0A66D7-8EDE-4DA7-B586-BF66B3FD2071.jpeg

Try-----evinrudeparts.ca----For good help!!-----The coil on the left was used on 307 different motor models.----Lots of proper new and used ones around !

Last edited:
Back