Logo

Stalling DT115

audiodoode

"Hello, and thanks for your ti

"Hello, and thanks for your time.
I own a 1988 DT115 that starts & idles well, but stalls when I put it in gear.
I can get it to take off about once every 10 to 15 tries, but that's hard on the starter & clutch dog.
I've had the carbs off so many times to clean them that I know them by their 1st, middle & last names.
I haven't used carb kits, but I know how the needle valves\seats are supposed to work and I follow the manuals specs for re-assembly.
I can't say 100% that it isn't a carb problem, but I'd like to think I was thorough in cleaning them.
It runs well at WOT, when it gets there.
I did drain the carbs at the end of '07, but it didn't run all that well last year & had similar symptoms, which I thought were caused from my "playing around" with the choke plunger adjustment, which I returned to it's original setting.
Peculiar how much better it started after that.
light_bulb.gif

If anyone has any ideas for a starting place, I'd greatly appreciate it.}"

Start with a compression check

Start with a compression check. followed by a spark check. It is very possible that it is running on 3 cylinders.

Have you tried raising the idl

Have you tried raising the idle speed a touch? May be something really simple like that.

"I'll do the spark test th

"I'll do the spark test this weekend & let you know the results.
I've already done a compression test & was surprised at the number and also at the evenness betwixt the cylinders for such an elder outboard.
And yes Andy, I have increased the idle speed.
Thank you very much."

start your motor at idle squee

start your motor at idle squeeze the ball if the motor runs rough it could be a fuel pump issue

""[i]what where the #'

""what where the #'s
and tell us how you did a comp test please"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From top to bottom, they read as follows:
I removed all plugs & tested each cylinder from top to bottom, turning it over for 3 seconds or so.
All cylinders held their pressure as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That said, I ran some tests after w-o-r-k today.
First, the spark test.
I have an inline tester that apparently flashes if there is spark present (pardon my ignorance of this device). Anyhow, it lit up on every cylinder.
Next, I did another compression check and the results are the ones listed above.
While cleaning the carbs, I noticed it didn't bog down when I sprayed cleaner into the bottom cylinder. I removed the plug, and it had a pale bluish-white buildup on it.
I replaced the plug with another & ran it for a few minutes and it had the same look as the other plug I had discarded.
It strikes me as peculiar that the problem cylinder also has the highest pressure reading.
Does this help anyone narrow things down?
I'll try squeezing the primer ball at idle tomorrow.
Thank you very much for all of your help, gentlemen."

Back