Logo

Spline adjustment 1999 350

mslatt

I have a 1999 Larson with a 350 engine, DP-S outdrive. I pulled the lower unit to lubricate the spline and bearings. I had to slightly move the prop to get the spline to line up, when I was putting it back on. Is there a way to check it to make sure I didn't turn the spline, without putting it in the water? It appears to shift properly and the drives lock properly to take the props off. I'd like to be sure before I haul it to the water.

Re: Spline adjustment

I have a 1999 Larson with a 350 engine, DP-S outdrive. I pulled the lower unit to lubricate the spline and bearings. I had to slightly move the prop to get the spline to line up, when I was putting it back on. Is there a way to check it to make sure I didn't turn the spline, without putting it in the water? It appears to shift properly and the drives lock properly to take the props off. I'd like to be sure before I haul it to the water.
Sounds like you removed the entire drive (not just the lower unit)!
The drive shaft can be re-installed in as many positions as there are splines on the shaft...... but there is no incorrect mating if it did go all the way back in!

Did you perform the engine/coupler alignment check?

Yes, I did remove the entire drive and no, I did not perform the alignment check (How?). I hooked up the water hose and ear-muffs and cranked it up. It shifted smoothly into forward, reverse and neutral. No bump or grinding. Put it in the water and it ran great. Guess I got lucky. How would you do the alignment check?

....................... How would you do the alignment check?
This is an annual event, so see your OEM service manual for the instructions. You'll need the alignment tool. They can be made, or you can find one via an e-Bay seller.

Back