Logo

Sniper EFI

missnancy

Regular Contributor
I have a older engine set up which uses a Rochester 4 jet carburetor, not to be confused with a quadrajet. All 4 venturis are the same size which precludes me from getting a more modern carburetor. I am looking at Holly's Sniper EFI and was wondering if anyone has used one and how well it works for them.
Thanks in advance for the feedback and I hope you all have a merry Christmas.

No direct experience with the Sniper, but my friends have used these on off road trucks and at least one boat. The system seems to be pretty well thought out for a bolt-on. The on line reviews are mixed, of course but with something like this you gotta think that some major knuckleheads are trying to install with all levels of competency. I dunno where you fall in that spectrum, but if you do it properly, these work well and are trouble free. As you probably know, there are zillions of options for retro fitting EFI, from home brew to bolt on. The Sniper is probably somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as cost-benefit analysis is concerned. YMMV.
There are also square bore carb solutions if you wish to continue that way. The Edelbrock 1409 will work for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Edelbrock-14...mzn1.fos.2b70bf2b-6730-4ccf-ab97-eb60747b8daf

Thanks for the info, I did not know they made an adapter for the intake. My only issue would be the clearance as I have very little between the top of the flame arrestor and the engine cover.

They make a 1/2" thick adapter to put a holley square bore on a 4GC friendly manifold...like $20 + shipping.

you'll also have to switch over to an electric fuel pump to get the pressure required for the injectors...and add an oil pressure cut off safety switch..

The one's I've seen are on off-road vehicles so they wouldn't be a direct apples-apples comparison...that said they work well once they are tuned to the engine. In your case, you will have to run it in an open loop manner so you'll have to be careful getting it tuned (start rich and refine it leaner). you won't get the economy benefit of running it closed loop.

The other thing to consider is maintenance. As long as you are capable of doing it, you should be fine...if you have to call a mechanic, they will likely shy away from the mod.

I thought I would do a follow up on this post. I did decide to go with the Holly aftermarket EFI "Sniper". I have been very satisfied with the performance. It fires right up and has better throttle response than the Carb that used to be on it. The only thing I don't care for and has taken some getting used to is the noisy fuel pump.

Thanks for the update..

on the pump noise, is it the pump itself, or noise being amplified and dispersed by the mounting structure?

you can try and isolate the pump from the mounting arrangement with some soft sheet rubber if you used a strap type of mount...

If the pump itself is 'noisy' , it may take a little more doing...good luck!

I thought I would do a follow up on this post. I did decide to go with the Holly aftermarket EFI "Sniper". I have been very satisfied with the performance. It fires right up and has better throttle response than the Carb that used to be on it. The only thing I don't care for and has taken some getting used to is the noisy fuel pump.
I have a 1998 Gibson Houseboat and I am ordering 2 Holly Snipers to replace my carburetors.Do you have a wet exhaust? I do and I'm told that I will need a marine O2 adapter. Any issues in this regard?

I have wet exhaust and bought an adapter that goes between the manifold and the riser from CP Performance, cost was $99.00. I have read that they are coming out with a Sniper 2 so you might want to wait and see what the difference is. That said I am very satisfied with it so far.

Back