Logo

Slow, but Reliable - Easy to Service - Good Fuel Economy

Willie12345

Newbie Posting: I've just retired and want to start boating again after a very long period of inactivity. I want to purchase a used 17-24 foot boat with a cuddy cab and trailer. After some initial reading, it seems like the Merc. 3.0 ( 4 cylinder ) Engine might the choice for power that boat. It doesn't appear to be too complex and with regular consistent service should be reliable. My wife and I would use it to cruise up and down our local river and lakes. At 66, we don't plan to do any tubing or wake boarding.

Is the Merc. 3.0 a good choice for this application ? (If we did better than 15 MPH, our pacemakers might stop. )

If the Merc 3.0 is a good choice, can you suggest an brand or model of boat that meets that general description ??

I realize, I need to have someone with experience, inspect (survey ?) the boat and engine before putting my money down.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I want to purchase a used 17-24 foot boat with a cuddy cab
If you want room/comfort stick w/20+'. Putting around on the river is fine w/a 3.0L I-4 if the boat is 18' and under. I recommend at least a 4.3L V-6 if boat is 18-20', a 5.0L V-8 for 18-20' and a 5.7L or larger for a boat 20-25'. The weight of the boat should determine what power plant it gets but mfgrs. keep costs down by basically installing the minimum engine to make the boat run. I would rather have a horse lumbering along over a pony running to keep the boat moving. The larger engine can run efficiently at moderate speeds while the extra power is only used when you want/need it...approaching storm or an emergency...your pacemaker stops.

A carbed engine will be reliable and the cheapest to purchase and repair. An EFI engine will be more reliable to start and give the best performance but expensive to repair.

66+lakes and rivers = pontoon boat with a 40 to 90hp outboard -etec or 4 stroke good on gas, no crazy maneuvers or speeds, nice flat platform for walking around on and easy boarding, no need to winterize the motor, and you can close all the canvas to make a pseudo hotel room much cozier than any cuddy cabin. Lots of big comfy furniture.
Great to entertain on, and good to fish from.

On my lake, you'd think they "issue" you one when you hit 65. We call them booze cruisers.

Last edited:
Back