Logo

Simple for some I need help

yank

"I have just recently received

"I have just recently received a 1976 Chrysler 45hp from my father-in-law. I am only hitting on 1 of the 2 cylinders. The plug wire is new. I don't know the history of these motors, or marine motors much, but do ya think it is the coil, or is it something else. Any worthwhile websites for Chrysler parts would be greatly appreciated.. Thanx"

"Yank,

I would start by rem

"Yank,

I would start by removing the flywheel and inspecting the breaker points.

"

" O.K. So you are telling me t

" O.K. So you are telling me that this does not have electronic ignition. Thanx, that does help me out alot. Yall will have to forgive my ignorance. "

"Yank,

Actually, you may ha

"Yank,

Actually, you may have electronic ignition, but I don't think so.

If you could give me the model and serial numbers I would be positive.

When I looked through the Chrysler microfilms that I have, it seemed that you should have breaker points, however there are many different model numbers for that year, and some may have had electronic ignition. I believe that some models may have been manufactured with either type of ignition.

It seemed most likely that you would have breaker points. I just took a quick look through some ignition pictures and it seems that there were two ( at least ) types of ignition, and both use breaker points.

Tell me what type of ignition components you have
and I can give you specific troubleshooting steps for the rest of the ignition. But I think you have to start by removing the flywheel and checking the points, or at least find out what you have under there.

Of course, I am assuming that you do not have spark in one cylinder.

"

" Thanx alot Tony. I apprecia

" Thanx alot Tony. I appreciate you taking the time to check things out for me. I won't have any numbers for you until Thurs. when I go back out to the lake. I'll pull the flywheel then, and tell ya what I find. Again, thanks alot. "

" Tony, I found the owners man

" Tony, I found the owners manual believe it or not. Model # 457HH Serieal # 5824. The book says it to be contact points. If that is the case according to the numbers, could you let me know what the correct gap setting is. Thanks in advance. "

"Just a follow up for you Tony

"Just a follow up for you Tony. This will make your day.

I borrowed a puller from a friend of mine and took off the flywheel. Low and behold, I had a spider crushed in one set of contacts, hence only one cylinder firing! LOL That has got to be a first! Thanx alot Tony!"

Back