Logo

Shorting Switch wiring and recoil stud thread size

pilot1950

I'm working on a neglected 15hp 1988 E15RCCS. Replacing the fuel pump and cleaning up the carb. Could get it to fire but not continue. Clearly fuel related. In addition, I found the wiring to the shorting switch to be burned (high temp next to block, not fire) and wires are bare and heat shield tubing is gone in that area. My question. Is the polarity of the two wires important? One seems to go to ground and the other to a gang plug in the rear near the cover latch. I need to splice in some new wire and replace the shielding (shrink wrap I'm guessing) and will need to get the wiring correct if it's important. One end is a ring terminal and the other is a Molex style pin pushed into the rubber gang plug.

As a secondary solution, I'm also considering replacing the current lanyard and "deadman" clip system on the end of the tiller which is the shorting switch, with the older style push button on the front panel. Any thoughts on that? Seems much more usable to me.

Reading up on the removal of the carb. Seems it make the process easier if the starter recoil system is removed. Just one bolt holds it down. I'm thinking remove the assembly and run a nut up onto the bolt holding the assembly together as a "sandwich". My question it, what size are the threads? Once I get it in my hand I won't have the time to go hunt through the box of spare bolts and nuts.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Last edited:
Back