Logo

Shift rod won't go back in.

captgm

Hello I'm new to this site. Hoping I might get some advice from someone who has dealt with my situation. Thanks in advance...
I have a 1990 115 hp mariner. I pulled the lower unit to install new seals and new water pump/impeller. I was told to put it in forward before pulling it. So I did.. no problem. I then started taking everything off Ist the water pump assembly then
I took the housing below the water pump off with no problem, It has 2 seals in it. I bought the whole assembly/housing that came with the seals already installed..I then took the shift shaft housing out. It has 1 seal and a one O ring. I also bought that housing that came with the seal and O ring. My problem is
while taking the housing out the shift shaft came out also. I put it back in but it doesn't seem to engage the shift shaft cam. It just spins. I thought it should engage so it would shift the gears to forward or reverse. The gears on the lower unit are still in forward like when I took it off.
I was told there's a shift cam/clutch dog that it's suppose to go in. If so it's not going in or aligned correctly.
I've tried everything. I'm stumped,
Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Back