Logo

Sherwood Pumps

Alotis

Hello - I have a quick question

I have a Sherwood dual port water pump

I believe that the Impellar Vanes in each port would rotate in the same direction.

Your help is appreciated

I lube mine with dish soap when I assemble them, see lots of soapy bubbles before any water so I know the pumps are working

while on this topic i have a quick question if i may. i have a buddy with a 28 silverton with 318's one of which was not pumping water so we replaced the impeller with a new one even though after inspection the old one was just fine, so after we put everything back together we still have no raw water flow and air bubbles are coming from under the boat when the engine is running. :confused: thanks guys

so after we put everything back together we still have no raw water flow and air bubbles are coming from under the boat when the engine is running. :confused: thanks guys
If your sea water pump is a single impeller Sherwood style, these are ambidextrous, in that they will work for either a standard LH engine or a reverse RH engine.
The Chrysler boys can confirm this.... but I believe that the dual pocket pump is also ambidextrous.
images

If the pump body inadvertantly becomes installed 180* out of phase, they'll still turn the impeller in the correct direction, but the porting is incorrect.
This may cause the pump to push air into the sea water intake system, perhaps causing the bubbles that you describe.

The first two images would show the correct pump orientation for a standard LH engine.
The last image would show the correct pump orientation for a Rev RH engine...... or IOW, if you viewed the impeller, it would be a mirror image of the first photo.

Try removing the pump, examine the impeller again (it may have burned from running dry).
See if the pump body orientation is correct for the engine rotation.

This is a common problem when we get one flipped around 180*.

Attachments

• Sherwood impeller bent over.jpg
    Sherwood impeller bent over.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Sherwood pump for LH engine.jpg
    Sherwood pump for LH engine.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Sherwood pump for RH engine.jpg
    Sherwood pump for RH engine.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
while on this topic i have a quick question if i may. i have a buddy with a 28 silverton with 318's one of which was not pumping water so we replaced the impeller with a new one even though after inspection the old one was just fine, so after we put everything back together we still have no raw water flow and air bubbles are coming from under the boat when the engine is running. :confused: thanks guys

Did you change both impellers? What year is it? If you did change both or it is a single impeller pump, make sure you have now air leak before the pump. Also make sure the intake is not clogged.

If air bubbles are coming from under the boat when the engine is running...... (and I doubt that he means exhaust :D ) it's coming from the thru-hull sea water pick up.
If so, then it's likely that the pump is ported incorrectly, and is pushing air rather than pulling water....... yes/no?

If air bubbles are coming from under the boat when the engine is running...... (and I doubt that he means exhaust :D ) it's coming from the thru-hull sea water pick up.
If so, then it's likely that the pump is ported incorrectly, and is pushing air rather than pulling water....... yes/no?

Right Rick. Those pumps can be mounted wrong hense reversing the position of inlet/outlet. Pretty common occurance if not familiar with this app. Mark everything before removal!

True for some of these pumps......, but how many times have we read where a DIY'r has inadvertently got these reversed?

With today's cell phones, there's little excuse for not taking a photo beforehand.

ok thanks for the help boys. this helping my 72 year old pal
who has never even taken this boat out in ten years is really becoming a nightmare for me, i guess i put it in backwards. sometimes you learn the hard way. thanks again.

Remember.... don't just simply flip this pump over 180*, and call it good!
I have no idea of how long you ran it dry..... but you'll want to examine the impeller once again.

Often these can become damaged in as little as 10-15 seconds if very dry.

Back