Logo

Shaft

Trojanman

Regular Contributor
Need to replace port side prop shaft due to pitting.does anyone know what the length is for my 73 Trojan Clean Machine? They are 1" shafts.

my 71 30ft Sea Raider's are 5ft...Don't forget to have the new shafts taper machined to match the prop

My marina is located just down river from where these great boats were once built. In fact, I took my dink up the river to within a few hundred yards of there just yesterday morning!

Jeff

I am and believe it or not,Pete was the only one to give me an answer!

I applaud Pete for the reply but these are two different boats, and shafts likely not the same. The taper on shafts are typically SAE or ISO standard for their diameter. So it's likely that a prop for a 1" diameter shaft will have a standard taper for that shaft and any machine shop that deals with marine apps on a regular basis will have these specs.

Not yet,just wanted to see if someone knew.i'll try them though,thanks.

A hull number will help at Beacon. Surprised none of the Clean Machine guys there haven't chimed in with an answer. Add the hull number to your current thread there so the rest of the guys can see it as some have hull number records and the standard gear that accompanied them.

Last edited:
Woodie..I've had 3 shafts made for my boat by a local machine shop, all copied from the original 1inch diameter by 5ft long bronze shaft that was installed by Trojan, the last one was made due to the shaft snapping half way along the taper after a prop change,( it did take almost a year for it to happen) which, I was told by the wrinkled old owner of the shop,was due to the fact that various props have different tapers, enough of a difference for the prop to wobble at high speed, even though the retaining nuts are rock solid, he chewed me a new one for not bringing in the shaft to have it matched to the prop when I changed it, both shafts have since been matched up to their new wheels

Last edited:
Interesting Pete. I've ordered hundreds of inboard props and have never been asked about the taper, just the shaft diameter, never had a problem. Kept asking about the taper when I first got into this industry (a legitimate concern) and was always given the same answer; I stopped asking!

Not yet. Trying to do all the leg work first like size and pricing. I'll pull the boat early Oct. and start ripping everything out. The plan is to reinstall everything in the spring. It's unreal how much they want for a 5' piece of stainless thats only 1" thick !

I think the last one I had made was around $500 ... ..I used polished & ground pump shafting stock..316 stainless.really hard on the scale too

I think the last one I had made was around $500 ... ..I used polished & ground pump shafting stock..316 stainless.really hard on the scale too

Pete,what is ground pump shafting stock? Never heard of it. I did get a quote of $450 from a reputable company that is near to my location,but I don't know what Aquamet it is ??

shafting stock is the material used for pump shafts its polished & ground to be almost perfectly round & true. Very hard. tough to machine ( I'm just repeating what I was told ), Aquamet is a trade name I think & $450 is a pretty good price too

Back