Logo

Selectrim Help

gwhitley4395

Good afternoon everyone,

I have scoured the internet, youtube, etc and have not found what I'm looking for as of yet. I have a '79 OMC 185 with Stringer 800 and Selectrim. I recently replaced the trim motor and both forward solenoids as both were not in working order and the trim motor was definitely past the point of rebuild.

I can now hear the motor clearly running but nothing is happening. After studying schematics in detail and reading the manual, I am concluding that it is either a reassembly issue caused by yours truly or something in the housing (worm gear, etc...) is seized up.

I am still fairly new to OMCs but I know the lack of availability of parts and the costs associated with them. After checking the ~$100 cost of a new worm gear/other parts, I decided it would be in my best interest to ask those of you who know more than me before I grab a pair of pliers and start yanking on stuff.

Also, actual pictures of the assembled/disassembled selectrim would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

aren't the V8 selectrim systems all hydraulic? I know the 4 cylinder engines used a worm screw. Maybe some pics of your setup will jog some memories

At work now and don't have any pictures, but here is the exploded view. My best guess is that #63 may be seized or it could be the weight of the motor keeping it in place, no clue. I don't really have a great way I can think of to hold the motor in place to test this as the bilge area below the motor is fiberglassed in and I don't feel like fixing that when I put a jack through the floor.

http://cdn.crowleymarine.com/brp/hRSLkXHy.png

Back