Logo

Seized 20hp mercury 2 stroke outboard.

Year / serial # is ?------If water was inside the motor it will need to come apart for inspection !----Or remove lower unit as it might be the issue.

1975 ser 4293906. Is there a safety mechanism I am unaware of? It goes into gear both forward and reverse smoothly. Prop turns and clicks in forward, locks up in reverse when moved by hand. The flywheel will not budge. I have ordered a manual to get some answers. Thank you for your reply. I will remove the lower end as you suggested. The guy said it ran last year but I have my doubts..

No safety mechanism-----Likely had water inside the motor.----Bearings and crankshaft maybe scrap.-----Used parts are easy to find for these.----Your location ?

Lancaster CA. I'm pretty good fixing cars just using a Chilton's for reference. What is the best repair manual for this motor? I am a novice on outboard mechanics, yet willing to try.

Lancaster CA. I'm pretty good fixing cars just using a Chilton's for reference. What is the best repair manual for this motor? I am a novice on outboard mechanics, yet willing to try.
Best manual would be a genuine Mercury service manual. Often the aftermarket manuals will be missing data.

Thank you Sir. I did drop the lower unit and it's got some rust on the shaft. I flushed out the old oil and of course, evidence of water. new oil and the drive appears to be sound. The power head is seized. What's your opinion on getting a used power head? Is it fairly easy to transfer the parts for a novice who's good with cars?

Back