Logo

Seeking manual for indmar 350 efi

Hi and thanks. I have 96 mastercraft prostar 205 with the indmar 350 efi . Im seeking the following :
1 what gear oil ?
2 engine oil ?
3 winterize drain .. I can drain the 2 engine block drains, 2 manifold drains , remove J hose . Anything else ?

Hi and thanks. I have 96 mastercraft prostar 205 with the indmar 350 efi . Im seeking the following :
1 what gear oil ?
2 engine oil ?
3 winterize drain .. I can drain the 2 engine block drains, 2 manifold drains , remove J hose . Anything else ?

If you're new to Mastercraft boats, I would recommend joining the Team Talk forum. Lots of sticky threads and info.

If you have an engine with IC94xxxx, the engine isn't original but as long as it's in good condition, the only things that changed are how the ECM trigger outputs are polarized, if the ECM on the OEM engine was changed.

Transmission- show the make and model and serial number. What color is the oil in it now, red or brownish? If red, you can use regular transmission fluid- if it's brownish and doesn't smell like burned transmission fluid, 20W was the usual oil.

You can use any brand of motor oil- they came with 15W30 but some people used Rotella, others used straight 30W. AC PF25 is the short filter that came with these from the factory but when I had a Silverado, I used the FP1218 because it has twice as much filter medium as the PF25. If you're only going to change the oil & filter once per season (recommended change after 50 hours or annually, according to the Owner's service interval info), you might as well use the larger filter.

Any time you work on the engine, disconnect the gas shocks and then remove the whole engine cover with the short piece of floor behind it- you can disconnect the shocks and work with the cover in place, but why deal with that obstacle? I used to place the cover on the back seat or on the pad behind the rear seat (with a Harbor Freight moving blanket underneath, balancing it so it wouldn't fall. You'll need to lift the back of the engine cover slightly, then pull it toward the bow in order to remove that part of the floor.

For changing oil, cut the bottom off of a window washer fluid bottle about 6" high, place it on paper towels under the filter and the area around it, then loosen the filter enough to let it start draining what's above it, but wait until that's close to being done before removing the filter. Place the filter in the bottom of the jug and remove it from the bilge.

- Change the oil AFTER running the engine- if you're changing both types, it's better to run the fresh oil through before letting it sit.

IMO, using gravity to drain the oil through the hose on the oil pan is a colossal waste of time. If you don't have a way to pump the oil out, get one. There are many types and sizes of pump, but there's no reason to make a career out of this. I'll post some examples on the bottom.

When was the impeller changed, last? If you don't know or if it was last year, replace it- it's cheap insurance. DO NOT omit installing a new gasket- you can buy the impeller with the gasket.

If you're in a location where Ethanol is mandated, use fuel stabilizer that's made for gas with Ethanol- the red StaBil isn't. The last boat dealer I worked for used Volvo-Penta brand stabilizer.

- Clean the flame arrester! This is the single most neglected Item I have seen on the >1000 boats I worked on.
- Clean out the oil cooler. If you have seen the temperature gauge showing higher, unstable temperature, it may have an old impeller or clogged oil cooler. You can clear it out by loosening the hose clamp between the hull fitting and the cooler before sliding the hose off. I use a hemostat.
- Fill the tank and stabilize the fuel.
- Run the engine to normal operating temperature before doing any of the other Winterizing steps.
- Drain the engine/manifolds (make sure the water coming out of the block rushes out- if it trickles out, push a wire in and move it around to clear out anything that's preventing the water flow. Usually, it's sand but it could be small particles of vegetation, too.
- Disconnect the lowest points of the hoses on the raw water pump and from the oil cooler- I don't like using Fake-A-Lake- it's too easy for it to become dislodged & stop the water flow to the engine- you may not notice this until it's too late.
- You can use RV antifreeze if you want, but it's not mandatory. It's not a bad idea to draw some in, though- it will displace any remaining water and lubricate the raw water pump for the next start-up.
- Spray some kind of corrosion preventer on any bare metal in the engine- shift cables/levers, cable terminals, etc. Painted surfaces don't need this.

If you use anti-freeze, run it through, fog the engine as the last of it is being pulled in and shut the engine off. Once the engine has stopped, remove the block plugs to make sure that anti-freeze comes out. Your engine may have plugs at the rear of the exhaust manifolds- you can replace these with a hose kit or make it up, yourself. The kit connects the two sides and has a coupler between them, to make draining easier. USE BRASS OR PLASTIC FITTINGS at the manifolds- steel or cast iron will rust and bond to the cast iron.

If you live in a very cold place, I would disconnect the hoses and remove the plugs after running the antifreeze through- more cheap insurance. Put the plugs in a bag and wire tie that to the shifter.

This type of oil extractor needs no power and they work great-

iu

Menard's sells this type, but the one I had didn't last long- you would want to mount it on a bucket with closeable lid, to make this operation cleaner. With the end of the oil pan hose held higher than the pan, feed the tube into the hose and start pumping. It only takes a few minutes this way. The first ones I used had a Jabsco pump and they're a lot more expensive. At the last dealer, we had several types, but the pump above is lighter and worked as well as any I have used.

iu

Done.
I truly appreciate the help. I have questions but let me further educate my self to reduce the questions and be efficient with communicating

Done.
I truly appreciate the help. I have questions but let me further educate my self to reduce the questions and be efficient with communicating
Don't overthink the engine- it's from the GM car/truck assembly line, but the harness/ECM and cooling are marine, with the ECM program created by a company in Indiana that specializes in marine systems, but has also expanded into other areas. Manuals are available online- I would recommend the Mastercraft version, but Clymer's has them, too.

If you get the urge to check/set timing, don't just loosen the distributor hold down bolt and rotate it- the timing mark will jump around unless you put the ECM in diagnostic mode, which disables spark stabilization. You'll also need to raise idle to 1000 RPM- at that point, the timing mark shouldn't move and you can set it to 10° BTDC base timing. Snug the bolt, re-check it and tighten. I wouldn't worry about the torque spec- good and snug is fine.

The distributor cap, rotor and plug wires don't need to be marine-specific. I recommend and use parts with lifetime warranty. I would recommend using the OEM plug type- LT-1 uses AC MR43LTS and TBI uses MR43TS IIRC. I'll have to verify the TBI plug but I'm sure of the LT-1 plugs. The plugs could be CR-43xxx, too- M denotes 'Marine', C denotes 'Commercial' and both have Stainless bodies, which don't rust in place. Fuel filter is GF626 and some boats have one at the engine, another at the tank. It may also have a fuel shutoff valve at the tank. If it starts to bog around 3000-3500 RPM, check the screen at the fuel pump inlet.

If you find that the engine has problems that are hard to diagnose, look at the check engine light on the dash. it should illuminate when the key is turned to On but the engine isn't started- if it stores a code, the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) will stay on and even if you can't find a code scanner that fits the plug, you can check for codes by inserting a paper clip into the plug at the rear of the engine. I can post a photo of the applicable codes when I dig out my manuals.

DO NOT just start replacing parts in order to 'diagnose' problems. The codes are just like the ones for a car- they tell you where to look.

Can I run the engine in garage by adding water / anti freeze to the open sea strainer ?
I wouldn't run it in the garage- you need to think about where the water/anti-freeze will go.

When I worked for MC dealers, we also worked on various other brands and used a 5 gallon water jug with an extra hole- the hose went in the top to fill it for running the engine for general warm-up and that also showed how well the raw water pump was working- if it didn't draw the water in quickly, the strainer/oil cooler was clogged or the impeller needed to be changed. Once it was at normal operating temperature and any other work was done, we drained the engine, dumped the water out of the jug and pour three gallons of anti-freeze in, so it could be drawn in.

At the next dealership, we had a large tub and ran the engines on anti-freeze, rather than water. As long as the thermostat opened, that left no way for water to be in the engine without mixing with anti-freeze.

Note- I have been told online that this is not the best way to winterize engines, but when I asked the Mastercraft trainer who's a Professional Engineer who set up the MC/Indmar/Malibu training program and did a lot of the original testing when MC changed to injection, he said it was OK and using either method, I never saw a cracked engine block, intake, exhaust manifold or anything else.

For my own boat, I use a 5 gallon bucket, but I would make sure to use the largest hose fitting, or buy some vinyl tubing of the appropriate diameter for the strainer or oil cooler in order to allow the antifreeze to come out as quickly as the raw water pump demands it.

I was discussing this with the service manager at the last shop and he said "After everything is drained, I only care about the first six feet" because there's no amount of water in the rest of the engine that could freeze and expand, to cause damage.

Hi.

Thanks jim... I'm getting there thanks to your guidance ...

I saw a YouTube guy used the duct plug below to attach hose to strainer . I'll catch the exhaust fluid in a tub.

You wrote " I only care about the first six feet" .....could you explain what is six feet ?

Any advice how to remove really stuck hoses ? Heat gun ?

Current winterize draining status :

1. Both block plugs removed
2. Both manifold plugs removed
3. J hose removed
4. Heater is not connected , there is a short hose connecting the two heater connector openings on the block and the two hoses too / from heater are disconnected and not used.
5. I could not get any other hoses off...too tight.
6. I have a professional boatheater.com bilge heater in the bilge . Texas in January can get like 20 below for one day.
7. I plan as insurance to run the engine on water to open thermostat then run on anti freeze

Question : anything else I'm missing ?

P.s. my.oil extractor arrived ...thanks

From ebay:
CONNECTIVITY FIBER OPTIC SIMPLEX DUCT PLUG, 1",

Hi.

Thanks jim... I'm getting there thanks to your guidance ...

I saw a YouTube guy used the duct plug below to attach hose to strainer . I'll catch the exhaust fluid in a tub.

You wrote " I only care about the first six feet" .....could you explain what is six feet ?

Any advice how to remove really stuck hoses ? Heat gun ?

Current winterize draining status :

1. Both block plugs removed
2. Both manifold plugs removed
3. J hose removed
4. Heater is not connected , there is a short hose connecting the two heater connector openings on the block and the two hoses too / from heater are disconnected and not used.
5. I could not get any other hoses off...too tight.
6. I have a professional boatheater.com bilge heater in the bilge . Texas in January can get like 20 below for one day.
7. I plan as insurance to run the engine on water to open thermostat then run on anti freeze

Question : anything else I'm missing ?

P.s. my.oil extractor arrived ...thanks

From ebay:
CONNECTIVITY FIBER OPTIC SIMPLEX DUCT PLUG, 1",
You don't need a tub, a bucket works great. We used tubs because we winterized hundreds of boats/season.

Hose removal tools come in many shapes and sizes and I have one from SnapOn (because I worked at dealers and their drivers came to our shops) but I have used a flat blade screwdriver when I didn't have that one. Just be careful. Stick the end in between the hose and whatever it's on and move it around the surface, to loosen it. Then, pull it and rotate at the same time. If the casting is rusty, you can clean it with ScotchBrite. If it's really bad and the air temp isn't too low, you can paint it and let it dry over the Winter. I would clean off the loose rust and paint with Rustoleum's Rust Restorer. I used it as a test spot on my trailer more than 3 years ago and it hasn't changed, at all.

Not Fiber Optic plugs, you want brass or plastic fittings- go to Team Talk and ask for the part number. Use their search bar to look for recent threads that involve the cooling system- many people have replaced the plugs with the right angle fittings. The members at Team Talk would have the part numbers- a hose kit was available in the past.

Here's a manual from Indmar, the company that set up the engines for MasterCraft, Indmar, Supra/Moomba ski boats and it covers 1994-2002. Look at the table of contents section 7-1 for lay up info.

This is the kind of kit I was referring to- I got the link from someone at Team Talk. Your boat is old enough that replacing the riser gaskets is a good idea.

If you buy this, wrap the thread on the right angle fittings with Teflon tape or use pipe dope- being plastic, the thread can strip if it's over-tightened.

This company has been serving ski boat owner needs for a long time-

Back