Logo

Same HP different Ignition system

Dterry

Contributing Member
Hi all,

I have two Merc outboards that have the same HP except one is newer (1994) and the other older (1989). I want to know if it’s possible to swap out the flywheel, stator, trigger, and switch box from the old Merc to the newer ignition system.

25hp Merc s/n C152493
25 hp Merc s/n 0G902415

cheers!

Yes it should work but you will also need to change the linkages. I believe the 94 use a timing advance in te switch box itself whereas the 89 has a mechanical advance.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately the stator that I planned on using is trash, unless I am performing the inspection incorrectly. The stator has two leads in which each for the LS and HS. According to the manual I am suppose to take a ohms reading by probing the lead and ground. When doing this I end up getting infinite resistance (1). Am I performing this inspection correctly? Last question, two wires running from the switch box to the ignition coils are GRN/YLW stripe and solid GRN. Does the GRN/YLW stripe run to ignition coil #1? It’s a 2 cylinder by the way.
Thanks so much for the guidance!

Dan

Between leads and ground it should show infinity.----What manual are you using ?

Mercury outboard service manual. It states “test leads to black/white stator lead and engine ground” meter reading should be 12-18 ohms. “Test leads to between black/yellow stator lead and engine ground” meter reading should be 3.2-3.8 ohms.

Back