Logo

Salt Build UP Volvo Outdrive Water Outlet Housing and Hose

Bob & Sue

Contributing Member
I don't know much about Volvo's but I was doing some work on my boat the other day the boat next to me was a Seaswirl I think with a small block Volvo and Volvo dual prop outdrive not sure of the model number. He was trying to change the sea water pump impeller barely had room to get it off he asked me for some help. I watched him lower the outdrive so it wouldn't hit the cement pad. The reason he was changing the impeller he had just taken it out and it overheated I noticed the water exhaust hose was off the housing and the housing had broke. The hose had about a 1/2" solid piece of salt in it we dug it out and water poured out. He now has to pull the outdrive and repair some wiring that melted against the manifold that he thought was paint smoking when it overheated on a new set of manifolds and risers. Just posted this to make sure if your in salt water flush those drives thoroughly I now use salt away on my mercruiser.

This does not sound familiar to me re; the Volvo Penta drives, as Volvo Penta has never used a drive located sea water pump.
All Volvo Penta sea water pumps are engine mounted.

Have I misunderstood you?

This does not sound familiar to me re; the Volvo Penta drives, as Volvo Penta has never used a drive located sea water pump.
All Volvo Penta sea water pumps are engine mounted.

Have I misunderstood you?

It was a FWC engine with sea water pump mounted on the crank shaft sea water pump looked like a Jabsco.

It had a white housing on the drive mounted above the lower unit just below the bellows so you couldn't remove it without taking apart the drive no room. The water hose was connected to this housing.

Last edited:
Back