Logo

rusty water in exhaust?

Brownie289

Contributing Member
454 fresh water cooled crusaders, kept in salt water.
I haven't started my boat in a couple of weeks. Wanted to run them today up to temp. They started fine, went to look and see that I had water flowing
out of the exhaust and on the port side good flow but really nasty, rusty water was coming out also looked like a slick on the water.
Couldn't tell if it was an oil slick but there was something on the surface.
It cleared up after about 5 min.
What was that from?

Had good coolant and oil level, slightly higher temp on port side temp gauge, checked both engines w a temp gun and everything was similar.

I'd suggest monitoring the exhaust elbows with the IR gun....rust in the exhaust, especially after sitting idle, is not uncommon with the cast iron parts used...

Salt water environments usually drive the life of the elbows (& risers) - some report 4 years and I've read several say they can get 7 years out of a set. If you are anywhere in that timeframe, it would be prudent to allocate budget for replacements....

"Slicks" are 'normal'....its not unusual to have a short-term slick, after a cold start, due to a rich fuel mixture....it choke be the choke setting, nozzle drip, or a combination....

Thank you for the reply, I will be inspecting/replacing the elbows/risers this winter.
The boat is new to me and I am not sure if their age. The port engine is the newer of the two.

Back