Logo

Running engine in Driveway

stevemiller333

Contributing Member
First of all, as you may know by my recent posts, I am new to boating, inboards, and old V8's so this forum has been awesome for me.

I was attempting to run the old Resorter with a plunger like contraption I bought from Amazon yesterday.

Here are the mistakes I made:

• The boat was not level, the bow was facing down my driveway which is relatively steep, steep enough to not play basketball on.
  • I attached the plunger thing and fired up the hose at full blast.
  • I started her up, and she kicked out a lot of water and then moaned very loudly when running.
  • I shut it off after less than five seconds knowing I was screwing something up.

I then went inside and like an idiot did my research after hooking the thing up. I brought it to a level surface and gave it gradual water I started it and it moaned for a second or two and then ran fine. I have no water in the oil. Is it possible I damaged something?

Thanks.

The water is strickly for cooling. You can run an engine without water for 5 seconds without over heating or other damage. The moaning you heard was probably the impeller running dry inside of the water pump housing. You could remove the impeller and inspect it, but if its still fine now then i suspect everything is fine.

-JJ

First of all, as you may know by my recent posts, I am new to boating, inboards, and old V8's so this forum has been awesome for me.

I was attempting to run the old Resorter with a plunger like contraption I bought from Amazon yesterday.

Here are the mistakes I made:

• The boat was not level, the bow was facing down my driveway which is relatively steep, steep enough to not play basketball on.
  • I attached the plunger thing and fired up the hose at full blast.
  • I started her up, and she kicked out a lot of water and then moaned very loudly when running.
  • I shut it off after less than five seconds knowing I was screwing something up.

I then went inside and like an idiot did my research after hooking the thing up. I brought it to a level surface and gave it gradual water I started it and it moaned for a second or two and then ran fine. I have no water in the oil. Is it possible I damaged something?

Thanks.

The moaning you hear could have been the cutless bearing. These are lubricated by water,so I usually put a piece of wood btw the hull and prop to keep it from spinning.

Back