Logo

Rookie of a 1977 Bayliner

ObviouslyARookie

Hello!
I just became an owner of a 1977 Bayliner and decided to take this project on as a passion project with the full understanding of the time and commitment it will take to complete (if possible).

I've decided to come on here to start my journey with this project to ask you boat enthusiasts the questions of tips and tricks of how to continue forward with this goal of mine!

Details: She's been sitting not winterized since 2016 (I know, shitty) here in Minnesota. She ran once and I haven't tried to see if she runs, or if there is water in the engine yet, but I did start to gut everything so far (shown in picture). Understanding the biggest/hardest part is the engine, but curious on how ya'll got started, kept going, and what other tools you have in your belt to finish this!
19' 1977 Bayliner JAMAICA - Onboard Mercury(We think: 383/388 Chevy engine). Fiberglass.

I have all the (actual) tools to work on this and just recently moved so she is outside my front door with more time to continue this.

So, if you have any starting points, forums, websites, or anything that would be handy during this process, or just want to continue this journey with me, that would be amazing!

---IF--- you think I'm crazy/idiot/stupid for taking this project on, go join my some of family members and a few others to talk in silent behind my back because I don't care! HA

Use this thread to share ideas with me, and keep in mind, this is ALL NEW TO ME, Rookie here so play nice!
thumbnail-IMG-6030.jpg
thumbnail-IMG-6403.jpg
ENGINE1.jpg
ENGINE2.jpg
ENGINE3.jpg

Wow! you have a project for sure....

If you are serious, I'd make sure the transom is sound...economically, there's really no point in continuing if it isn't....unless you don't mind being way in the hole.

Once the transom is solid, move on to the engine...pull the plugs and see if you can spin it over by hand. It looks like you have a 302 ford engine from the limited pictures and they have been 'orphaned' for decades - parts are available but, because of limited demand, can be very pricey. If its locked up, you may wanna consider just getting a SBC.

finally, for future engine questions, you'd be better off posting in the mercruiser forum...

Thanks Ya'll, busting through and removing engine today. I'll keep posting once I figure it all out. Also, my father was the one noting it being a chevy? Just stating what I'm being told.

Learning as I go.

There is a rubber impeller in the outdrive. If you start the engine out of the water and in the boat there is an adapter to attach a hose so the impeller doesn't run dry.
The adapter looks like 2 cups attached to a spring and available at most sporting goods or boat store.
And big city should have an engine rebuilder that can get parts.

Back