Logo

Rkl-24 no power

I have an RKL-24, EVERYTHING has been replaced (New-reman) except for the internal engine parts, 88psi comp, normal low hr cond. This engine does everything the way its supposed to do except "GO" under full throttle. it runs about 10mph. YES it is WOT, it will rev in the tank in the driveway (in gear) but not when its in the lake actually pushin the boat. it starts great, warms up and idles as it should. 'EVERYTHING" means--- Tank, Fuel line-A1/primer and couplers (quality), Fuel pump, Carb, petal plate, Water line-B1, Cut off switch, Coils, Points @.020, Condensers (Napa/Johnson), Plugs @.030 (Autolight), wires are fine, Water pump. Synchronization is spot on the mark. Carb is set as lean as it will allow, Plugs come out 'wet', fuel is Amsoil @50:1, Lake alt is at a claimed 4880ft. Boat has run as it should in the past in this lake in 1989. replaced everything because it sat so long, its been in the garage its whole life, orig owner. it should run good as new, Please help, cant take much more head banging. Thanks :)
Boat is a 1963 MFG 16'

Well----I knew that without looking it up!----What trouble shooting are you prepared to do.------I do not like the compression values.-----And it could be running on one cylinder !

Running on one cylinder is the usual cause of that "no power" symptom. Short out or disconnect the spark plugs, one at a time, and see which one is affected.

Well----I knew that without looking it up!----What trouble shooting are you prepared to do.------I do not like the compression values.-----And it could be running on one cylinder !
Well I can do just about any trouble shooting, Ive just about run out of things to do at this point, and pretty much bought all the parts except the internals. the cyls are equal in ware with crosshatch on intake side, scored or 'dusted' on exhaust. rings are not stuck, engine is very clean. not crazy bout the comp either but it did run before, going to check running on one cyl ASAP, is point gap adequate? its a 'by the book' spec.

The slight scoring might indicate overheat.------Check this motor for running on 1 cylinder.------They do run / sound very good on just 1 to the untrained ear.----I set points with a meter to open at the correct time.----To me actual gap could be 0.018 or 0.022" and it does not matter.

Last edited:
The slight scoring might indicate overheat.------Check this motor for running on 1 cylinder.------They do run / sound very good on just 1 to the untrained ear.----I set points with a meter to open at the correct time.----To me actual gap could be 0.018 or 0.022" and it does not matter.
Ok, ill keep the points at .020, i can probly get it in the tank later today, and give update. whats got me wondering is both plugs come out wet, not just one, it does start and run quite well, but does have a 'shake' to it

Wet plugs could just mean it is not running properly, among other things. If it isn't running properly, it isn't developing the combustion temperatures necessary to heat up the plugs and dry them off.

Wet plugs could just mean it is not running properly, among other things. If it isn't running properly, it isn't developing the combustion temperatures necessary to heat up the plugs and dry them off.
right, thats what make no sense it seems to run pretty good other than no high end power. will find out tomorrow if ive got a weak or no spark on a cyl, but again both plugs look the same so i scratch my head some more.

Well, what ever happened ????
[FONT=&quot]while doin all this found 1 bad plug wire. put new wires on it, (one of the only things not changed) put it in my 50gal lake in the driveway, did everything it did before BUT found it is only firing #2, so that can cause quite a problem, lol, thats were im at. gotta figure it out so i can put it in the lake mon.[/FONT]

NOW you're getting somewhere !!

dont ever take your stuff to a shop were the guy claims he knows what hes doin. dad did this in 89, never put it in the water. so i had the fun of figuring out how much he doesint know and now i know, LOL. inspected compete ign, sync etc... found everything perfect. it pointed me under the dash. found one set of points wired to wrong terminal, found other not even hooked to the mag terminal and connected to another wire and hooked to the wire terminal for the starter solenoid. dead cyl! rewired it all to the schematic, got my cyl back and now runs great, puttin it in the lake tomorrow ill let you know how it does, thanks for you help.

Just do some simple testing.-----Making assumptions based on whatever will not help you at all.----

dont ever take your stuff to a shop were the guy claims he knows what hes doin. dad did this in 89, never put it in the water. so i had the fun of figuring out how much he doesint know and now i know, LOL. inspected compete ign, sync etc... found everything perfect. it pointed me under the dash. found one set of points wired to wrong terminal, found other not even hooked to the mag terminal and connected to another wire and hooked to the wire terminal for the starter solenoid. dead cyl! rewired it all to the schematic, got my cyl back and now runs great, puttin it in the lake tomorrow ill let you know how it does, thanks for you help.

It will run !-----It would run really well as designed after a rebuild.----Scored pistons are not a good thing.----We suspected all along that it was running on 1 cylinder too.----I was working on these motors 50 years ago.----I know what a good one sounds like.

It will run !-----It would run really well as designed after a rebuild.----Scored pistons are not a good thing.----We suspected all along that it was running on 1 cylinder too.----I was working on these motors 50 years ago.----I know what a good one sounds like.
agreed it will run better after a a refresh, thats in the unforseen future, in the meantime it will be nice to be back out on the water. it is running quite well as it is. another question, how should i wire a sea dog tethered kill switch to the ignition switch with 2 "M" terminals? (1 set of points on each) will grounding one kill the engine? or how should this be done properly? i appreciate all your help :)

Back