Logo

Right Tachometer for 1975 Merc 50hp 4 cyl

That shows that the battery is not fully charged (use a battery charger) and the motor is not charging it. Check for voltage on the red terminal of the rectifier while running.

Well, running it in my driveway it's not looking good. The original rectifier wasn't doing anything. I replaced it and it still isn't doing anything. Not charging or providing tach signal. Then I stopped it after running it maybe two minutes and the stator is smoking. So crap. I guess the stator is the issue. But the motor runs as normal. But, I can't imagine for much longer.

All the stator does is charge the battery the ignition is via the ign.driver (see my diagram) so all you need is a new stator and rectifier, the motor will still run. The ways a stator can be burned are: hooking the battery up backwards, using the motor to charge a dead/weak battery, shorted wiring in harness.
attachment.php

Last edited:
All the stator does is charge the battery the ignition is via the ign.driver (see my diagram) so all you need is a new stator and rectifier, the motor will still run. The ways a stator can be burned are: hooking the battery up backwards, using the motor to charge a dead/weak battery, shorted wiring in harness.
attachment.php

Thank you so much for all your help! :)

If put my ohmeter one both leads coming from the stator, I'm getting 0.5 ohms. I saw one on ebay that stated it was tested at that same value? Is that the correct value?

How do you get the flywheel off without messing up the belt? Do you have to remove the pulley from the top of the ignition? I have the flywheel loose. And then I took off the eight little bolts on top and removed the top part of the flywheel, which seemed to be a waste of time. Unless there are some pieces stuck together.

Removing the flywheel won't disturb the timing belt.
When you removed the eight bolts, the flywheel should lift off, it's magnetic. I hope you marked the positioning, you'll need it correct when you need to time it in the future.

Removing the flywheel won't disturb the timing belt. When you removed the eight bolts, the flywheel should lift off, it's magnetic. I hope you marked the positioning, you'll need it correct when you need to time it in the future.

So am I to leave the flywheel bolt tight and just undue the eight little guys?

You can do it that way but it's recommended to remove it via the main center nut.

If you remove it by opening the eight bolts, just make sure it goes back on in the exact same bolt hole pattern.

This stator "looks" fine. Except for the outside of coils are extremely corroded and rusted. Can cleaning these make this thing work? The resistance is within spec and there is no damage to the sheathing.

Back