Logo

Reverse shifting issue with stern drive of an OMC 1987 4.3L GM V6 (432APARY)

becoleman3

Shifts fine into forward but does not engage into reverse; I just hear the grinding of the gears. If I disconnect the shift cable I can manually move the shift arm and put it into forward and reverse with out any problems. Do you think this could be a problem with the shift assist module?

If it shifts properly when you use the transom shift cable then that tells you that the remote cable is out of adjustment and is not giving equal throw in fwd & rev. So you need to adjust the remote cable (the cable that goes from the remote control to the engine bell crank shift lever).
there are updated instructions on Midnight Wolfs OMC tools website. The ESA should never engage when shifting into gear; only when shifting from in gear to neutral, with a load on the prop (in the water not on land running on the hose).
Make sure your idle is not more than 600.

Thanks for the insight louc and the direction to Midnight Wolfs site. I was able to get it adjusted with the remote control cable; didn't take much though. Will be getting Wolfs tools and pulling this back out of the water and to get it properly adjusted. I had pulled the stern drive out to replace water screens and did notice a lot corrosion that took place where the bell crank sits into the housing of the pivot housing assembly. I should revisit that also to make sure that is moving smoothly in there. Might be time to retire this stern drive.

The bell crank needs work smoothly back & forth for it to shift right. I clean out that area and pack it with triple guard grease. There are 2 drain plugs on the outside of the housing; if the lower one leaks it can let in water

My manual didn't say to put any thing on it but put a little and will pack it next time. the bellcrank plug seemed a little loose when I put it back in so maybe packing will help it out.

Back