Logo

Resetting error code without lanyard - 2002 BF225

I'll give you something to think about concerning the kill switch.....
Picture having one or more of your most cherished loved ones on the boat and you're zipping along, on plane, in a glass smooth stretch of water. Smiles all around.
Suddenly the boat hits something you couldn't see just under the surface. You're thrown from the seat and strike your head knocking you temporarily unconscious. Your friend or child isn't so lucky. They are pitched out of the boat. Because there's no kill switch...or worse... there is and you didn't bother to fasten it securely to your body, the outboard is still running at full song, in gear and digging hard.
Because no one is manning the helm, the boat begins to turn and, eventually starts circling.
Your buddy/kid was wearing his life jacket, is fully awake but he sees the boat coming back towards him.

This scenario actually happened a few years ago on a lake near San Diego. A guy was in a fishing tournament and had a lady friend with him. They were both pitched overboard going fast and the boat circled back. The woman lost both hands when the boat went over her and she covered her head with her arms. She was rescued and lived but I seem to recall they never recovered one of her hands.

So many people HAVE kill switches but either don't use them or they don't fasten the clip securely to themselves.
I keep a special skinny bracelet on board that fastens securely around my wrist to snap the hook to.
Because, it doesn't help to have a kill switch and not have it deployed when the proverbial... ...hits the fan.
That's a nightmare nobody wants to wake up to.

I'll give you something to think about concerning the kill switch.....
Picture having one or more of your most cherished loved ones on the boat and you're zipping along, on plane, in a glass smooth stretch of water. Smiles all around.
Suddenly the boat hits something you couldn't see just under the surface. You're thrown from the seat and strike your head knocking you temporarily unconscious. Your friend or child isn't so lucky. They are pitched out of the boat. Because there's no kill switch...or worse... there is and you didn't bother to fasten it securely to your body, the outboard is still running at full song, in gear and digging hard.
Because no one is manning the helm, the boat begins to turn and, eventually starts circling.
Your buddy/kid was wearing his life jacket, is fully awake but he sees the boat coming back towards him.

This scenario actually happened a few years ago on a lake near San Diego. A guy was in a fishing tournament and had a lady friend with him. They were both pitched overboard going fast and the boat circled back. The woman lost both hands when the boat went over her and she covered her head with her arms. She was rescued and lived but I seem to recall they never recovered one of her hands.

So many people HAVE kill switches but either don't use them or they don't fasten the clip securely to themselves.
I keep a special skinny bracelet on board that fastens securely around my wrist to snap the hook to.
Because, it doesn't help to have a kill switch and not have it deployed when the proverbial... ...hits the fan.
That's a nightmare nobody wants to wake up to.
Wow...scary. I had a bad motorcycle accident a couple years ago. I'm prone. I'll attach one!

You sent me a PM asking about the blinking oil light. See that attached document showing the various alarm/light combinations. Note the (1) where the oil light will be blinking.

Attachments

• Alarms BF 225.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 1
BIG NEWS (and it's good)!

It's fixed! ish. I found the red warning lights had come unplugged. That was the reason for the behavior change in the lights and warnings.

After reading the code again it was still flashing #26. We went through the troubleshooting steps for code 26. A couple steps in it has you check continuity on the high pressure sensor. To do this you jump connectors on the 6p sensor wiring harness near the throttle body. The connector was difficult to get unplugged but after some work we were able to determine there was NO continuity. We checked continuity on the low pressure sensor just to confirm we weren't crazy. There WAS continuity on the low pressure sensor. At that point I knew I was on the right track.

I ended up cutting the red/green and yellow/blue (?) wires that come out of the 6p connector and go to the high pressure sensor. I jumped those wires together to get continuity on the high pressure sensor circuit. Started the boat and WE'RE GOOD. Essentially I know the issue is in the few inches from the 6p connector to the high pressure sensor or the sensor itself which is great.

I am super happy with this solution. Essentially the only thing I am missing is the read from the high pressure sensor. I may leave it like that for some time.... I would probably be ok with pulling the intake off to check the wiring but I would struggle convincing myself to pull a head to replace the sensor itself. I think I would be asking for more trouble than the risk of running without that one sensor.

I took a huge breath of relief knowing that the problem has been tracked to a very specific reason and it "solved".

I appreciate all the help and if I don't reach out for help it means things are going very well! It's on for a big halibut trip this weekend! WOOHOO

Rob

BIG NEWS (and it's good)!

It's fixed! ish. I found the red warning lights had come unplugged. That was the reason for the behavior change in the lights and warnings.

After reading the code again it was still flashing #26. We went through the troubleshooting steps for code 26. A couple steps in it has you check continuity on the high pressure sensor. To do this you jump connectors on the 6p sensor wiring harness near the throttle body. The connector was difficult to get unplugged but after some work we were able to determine there was NO continuity. We checked continuity on the low pressure sensor just to confirm we weren't crazy. There WAS continuity on the low pressure sensor. At that point I knew I was on the right track.

I ended up cutting the red/green and yellow/blue (?) wires that come out of the 6p connector and go to the high pressure sensor. I jumped those wires together to get continuity on the high pressure sensor circuit. Started the boat and WE'RE GOOD. Essentially I know the issue is in the few inches from the 6p connector to the high pressure sensor or the sensor itself which is great.

I am super happy with this solution. Essentially the only thing I am missing is the read from the high pressure sensor. I may leave it like that for some time.... I would probably be ok with pulling the intake off to check the wiring but I would struggle convincing myself to pull a head to replace the sensor itself. I think I would be asking for more trouble than the risk of running without that one sensor.

I took a huge breath of relief knowing that the problem has been tracked to a very specific reason and it "solved".

I appreciate all the help and if I don't reach out for help it means things are going very well! It's on for a big halibut trip this weekend! WOOHOO

Rob
Also. I should point out something I consider very important....

After I reset the ECM to clear the 26 error I shut the ignition off. I remove the diagnostic jumper and turn the ignition back on WITHOUT starting the motor the error would return. When I read the error it was 26 again. That proves to me it isn't ACTUALLY reading low pressure on the sensor. It is just looking for continuity in the sensor which is did not have. That means to mean that more than likely the motor is fine and either the wires are bad or the sensor died. I would be suspect if I thought it was actually reading the oil pressure but it isn't. The warning is firing without ever reading a running motor.

Rob

Back