Logo

repowering seacraft 27 seamaster flybridge

gerry28

I just purchased a non running 1968 Seacraft 27 flybridge. It was powered with chrysler 360 inboards mated to v drives, do not know which brand. There is only one engine as of now, the other removed and discarded. What is the best way of tackling this repower? Should I look for a mate for the engine I have, should I look for a newer pair, or should I just go new and change over to mercruisers or such? I really like this hull, but never ridden on one so I do not know what to expect as far as cruising speeds etc. I do know they came with straight six mercruisers mated to outdrives and factory literature claims 30 mph top speeds. Any help would be appreciated.

You'll likely want to stay with the V-drives.
Changing to I/Os would be a PITA. It may even off-set the hull's balance from that of the OEM design.

There will be guys here who know much more about this than I will, but I'll venture to say that in 1968, we weren't reversing the transmissions for a counter rotation propeller.
This likely means that the Stbd engine is a RH Reverse Rotation engine.
If so, then this engine will be considerably different from the Port side engine, re; the engine build.
So I'd first determine which hand engine is the one needing to be replaced.

I'll suggest that the older 1968 exhaust system will be rather complicated compared to what we can use today.
If engine hatch over-head clearance allows, I'd certainly consider center-rise type exhaust..... or another system that gets you away from the older system.

Good luck with the project! :D

I'm confused, which isn't all that difficult to do, but you said in the beginning of your post that it had chrysler 360's in it and one was missing, then at the end you say the brochure says straight sixes, I don't remember a six cylinder 360 ? Is it me or is there a little contradiction here. Not trying to be smart just trying to figure out how to help. Rebuilt 360 V8's can be had for less than $2000. each. The other trans. is it missing too ?....Lee

Yeah, it is rather open to interpretation.

I'm clear that his engines were both Chrysler 360s, and that one is now not there (missing).
I'm lead to believe that both V-drives are also still there (not missing).

As for the straight six mercruisers, I think that he was referring to the boat also being available with this Merc 6 cylinder engine package.

Thanks Rick, I was beginning to think I was losing it, but it makes sense now that I re read it,and I agree all that is missing is the one 360. I wonder if the remaining engine is in running condition ?

If you plan to change out one of those motors, be damn sure it's either a 318 or 360, for many parts do NOT interchange on the two. See if you can find a 2 inch square plate bolted to the motor near the ditributor with some info on it.

Jeff

Ricardo Marine,
New member here and already hijacking.........or reviving, depends on your point of view.........LOL
This thread caught my interest as I recently aquired a 27' Uniflite (project) w/ twin 318's and Paragons with a straight shaft arrangement.
Your comment concerning a center rise exhaust caught my attention, can you give more detail?
Thanks, John

John, rather than hyjack Gerry's thread, why not start a new thread?
Key word your thread title to get the attention of the guys who can best help you.
These guys are much more into the Chryslers that I am.... but I'll sure help if I can.

Back