Logo

Reposting question re idle issue Penta with Solex carb

beeton

I am reposting this question here as the original posting was likely not getting any views due to where it was posted (can I swap my solex carb...)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just following up on this constant idle issue. I did manufacture a new tube and fuel squirts just fine. The problem I was having before and still having after the mobile mechanic showed up is inability to idle properly.

So, frustration basically caused me to ignore this for the last month but I thought I had better get to it so I can at least have one small victory before winterizing.

I changed the washer/spacer for the float needle to a slightly thinner one (.8mm vs .9mm) as I wondered if the float was closing a bit too soon.
I may be way off base here.

I put it all back together and starting is not an issue and I can throttle to 2000 + but idle is a no-go.
I did increase and decrease idle setting a bit and also played with the mix but no changes.

What I find odd, and may be helpful, is that when I remove the emulsion tube, idle seems fine but when I install it, fuel does not get to the top to spray. I had the fuel pump checked and that was rated good.

One other note, as it was idling without the emulsion tube, I adjusted the mix screw out and soft bottomed and there seemed to be no change in engine speed.

So, if this is a float-level issue, and you are not supposed to bend the tang (tab?), should I increase or decrease the spacer for the float shutoff valve? I hope I have all of the terminology correct.

A video is attached.

Thanks and safe boating to you all.

Back