Logo

Replacing Trim Switch

Jayraymay

The trim on my 1994 Larson 174 SEi with a Volvo Penta 3.0GSPMDA will go up, but will not go down. I think I’ve figured out that it’s the switch and I’m trying to take it apart to clean or replace it but I can’t figure out how to take the control lever apart. Through my research I thought that I had figured out that there would be a set screw on the bottom of the lever accessed through a small cutout. I have tried putting the lever in different throttle positions but I can’t find the set screw.

There are two screws on the back of the lever and I could take the top one out, but I can’t get to the bottom one, there isn’t room for even a small 90 degree screwdriver.

Photos attached. Thank you in advance for any advice.

24AD1C08-5D6C-4333-8331-2D7C059E0BF6.jpeg

FAAA6391-18EA-4341-9A2F-A7174A9B57E5.jpeg2FF82FE9-B259-4EF8-AA1C-907DBBED2CEE.jpeg2C104EBF-D13A-4451-ACF6-A1A6FEE3A5E5.jpeg

Is there another switch on the boat somewhere, and if so, does it work correctly? If not, I'd be sure to check the solenoids or relays before taking all of that apart. Most outboards have relays much like automotive relays, and there are two usually side-by-side. The easiest check is the swap the 2 and see if it then goes down but not up. Yamaha outboards have 2 solenoids to do the same thing. I know you don't have an outboard motor, but that's what I'm more familiar with. I have no idea how to help with your control lever though.

Sorry, I've had lots of boats and lots of problems with them all, but I've never had to dig in to a control box. There was that one time when I was about 14 that I was confident that I could make my dads 1962 Evinrude 40 HP Lark motor go faster if I could get into that control box and somehow make it pull the cable a little farther forward. My dad came home from work before I was finshed. He was not impressed with my idea, and the greasy mess I had made of the whole project. As I recall, I lost a few screws and other small pieces and wasn't really to offer much help when my dad asked "where does this piece go, son?!". I also recall the "impression" he made on my butt!! Maybe that's why I've never tried going into a control box since then!!

did you check for a set screw in the hole on the 'bottom' of the handle (seen in your second picture posted)...??

sometimes socket head set screws are used...

Is that called a "concealed" remote?
There's a replacement handle on eBay that looks like it might work. Many of these remote controls for various brands appear similar. I'm not recommending this--Do your homework!
Item # 204145804101

Screenshot_20231003_142225.jpg

Personally when mine quit and I couldn't find a replacement for just the switch I stuck a tiny toggle switch in there, mounted to a small piece of aluminum flashing I cut to wedge in place in the handle. It's not even waterproof but the repair has lasted 7 years so far.

20160910_140750.jpg

Sorry, I've had lots of boats and lots of problems with them all, but I've never had to dig in to a control box. There was that one time when I was about 14 that I was confident that I could make my dads 1962 Evinrude 40 HP Lark motor go faster if I could get into that control box and somehow make it pull the cable a little farther forward. My dad came home from work before I was finshed. He was not impressed with my idea, and the greasy mess I had made of the whole project. As I recall, I lost a few screws and other small pieces and wasn't really to offer much help when my dad asked "where does this piece go, son?!". I also recall the "impression" he made on my butt!! Maybe that's why I've never tried going into a control box since then!!
Love that story!

did you check for a set screw in the hole on the 'bottom' of the handle (seen in your second picture posted)...??

sometimes socket head set screws are used...
Thanks! I thought there would be a set screw accessed through that hole but I could not find one. I checked different positions of the throttle. I was hoping that there was another possibility. I will check again for the set screw.

There's a replacement handle on eBay that looks like it might work. Many of these remote controls for various brands appear similar. I'm not recommending this--Do your homework!
Item # 204145804101

View attachment 31343
Item # 204145804101

View attachment 31343

Personally when mine quit and I couldn't find a replacement for just the switch I stuck a tiny toggle switch in there, mounted to a small piece of aluminum flashing I cut to wedge in place in the handle. It's not even waterproof but the repair has lasted 7 years so far.

View attachment 31342

View attachment 31342
Thank you for this insight! I think mine is a concealed remote. Maybe I can use this part on eBay or re-engineer it like you did. I just need to figure out how to take this thing apart now. I’m gonna look again for the set screw.

Back