Logo

replaced water pump

cosmo1

hi guys have replaced a waterpump on my 1981 e25rcim and am just wondering how soon after start up should the water come out the telltale does it have to get warm enough to open the thermostat or should it be straight away am not a 100% that the pipe is connected on the water pump properly thats all and are there any tricks to getting the pipe on.
thanks dean

thanks Jim,well its not on then have taken off again and yep leg full of water,you would nt have any tricks up your sleeve at all to get that pipe on please..............PLEASE.........getting desperate:confused:

I'm sure others have more experience, but answers seem to be scarce. Here's what I did on my '74 115 hp. I measured the location of the water pump outlets relative to the drive shaft and made small marks on the lower unit locating those outlets. Then, looking up the housing, used the measurement to locate where the pipes should be.....then try to position them at that approx location. That gives you at least a fighting chance at getting the water tubes to enter the pump outlet. Good luck....and don't force it like I did!!

cheers richo have done the bit of fishing line around the pipe whilst juggling it with my free foot and talking to god and missing it completely

hi guys have replaced a waterpump on my 1981 e25rcim and am just wondering how soon after start up should the water come out the telltale does it have to get warm enough to open the thermostat or should it be straight away am not a 100% that the pipe is connected on the water pump properly thats all and are there any tricks to getting the pipe on.
thanks dean
Stick the tube into the engine gromet first,Then when sliding the lower on in that last inch or so align the tube with the water pump holdethen close it up if the driveshaft doesnt align hold the lower where it is and turn the flywheel slightly it should go on all aligned.When you first put it in the engine gromet stick it in just far enough so it stays but not in to far,when aligning the water pump use a needlenose pliers and seat it in the waterpump.

Try it with a -----------New water tube ( old one is too short or bent )----------------This should be easy to do.

might have to thanks racerone but cant understand why it was fine with old water pump but not new,only reason for replacement was the fact that i have owned it for 4 yrs and thought it was due...............story of my life should of left well alone hahaha

racerone, how do you replace a water tube? Mine looks like the whole powerhead has to be disassembled.....but if there's an easier way I'd like to know.

On an 81 -25 HP you pull it out and replace it --------Hopefully the grommet and guide are OK up there.-------------------------Other motors it may be different !!!!

Back