Logo

Replaceable power trim pump for black max?

Peter Devil Ears

Regular Contributor
Hi, I have a 1979 Black Max, 175HP. The power trim pump is faulty. The motor runs but the pump produces no pressure. From previous posts, I have done several tests and have realized that the problem is not the reverse anti lock or the manual release valve. I have also rebuilt my Rams. So, the Mercury agents here in South Africa want alot of money to replace just the pump section inside my unit. I see on the net, and on e-bay alot of pumps that are the same price or even less than what I would pay for these repairs (about 300 dollars), are any of these new type replacement pumps suitable for my boat? I have two Rams, with the motor bolts hollow for the oil to pass through, and the pump sits on the inside of the boat. Large black pump with motor and solenoids sitting on top of it. What is the part number of any suitable alternatives that I can use? Is it better to have mine repaired? Thanks for any advice.

Better to have yours repaired as no suitable or newer pump will work due to valve bodies. Have yours tested as hydraulic portion may be good and valve body is bad..

Back