Logo

Replace reed valves

Jeff67

Looking for opinions on the best reed valves for my 1990 Johnson 70hp. Next spring I'll be replacing them. Way to cold here in Wisconsin to do it now! Should I stick with OEM, a man made material like (Kevlar) or some other aftermarket manufacture.

The factory reeds are very durable.----Very few issues with them.-----I am curious.----Are there running issues with your motor ??----Have you been reading claims in brochures from sellers of " magic reeds " ?

Yes, Jeff....pretty chilly here too in Duluth. -17F here this morning.
My thoughts too....reeds are rarely a problem.

The motor runs rough in idle and smooth every other speed. After I take off the air horn I can feel some blow back in the top two cylinders in idle. The dealers around here are anything but helpful to say the least when I ask them for advice. My understanding is, the reeds are most effective while in idle and if you do not get a proper seal you will never get rid your rough idle.
Yes, I've been looking around on the internet for information on reed valves, there is a wealth of information out there. Hey timguy, you need an ice boat!:cool:

Post the the results of a compression test on your motor.-----And perhaps there is an issue with oil recirculation on your 3 cylinder 70 HP.

Need to check compression as posted and do a visual inspection of exhaust side of sleeve. These models if temp is slightly elevated(weak/old impeller), the bridge in exhaust port will scuff the side of piston causing the rough idle and a slight gargled bogg on take off. As for reeds the CCMS(Chris Carson) or TDR are good reeds. Boyesen reeds work good but have short life. All my engines have fiber reeds, a mix of CCMS and TDR.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I'll not be taking a compression test till spring. If I feel blow back on two of the cylinders is that not the reeds? And I just rebuilt the carbs last spring. Faztbullet, I do not know what (the bridge in exhaust port will scuff the side of piston) means. I am always willing to learn something new.
Wind chill way below 0 today!

attachment.php

Back