Logo

repairing lower unit

rjv712

I have a 115 HP 2003 Merc. I hit a rock and took a chunk out of the skeg on the lower unit. There is no other noticable damage. I want to have a welder repair it by welding a piece of aluminum onto the lower unit and the grind it into shape. If he can do the repair I am concerned that the heat fromt he weldong could damage the internal seals, bearings, etc. does anyone have any helpful input?

I have had it done on a Yamaha without any problems,and if the aluminum welder has done the like before,there shouldn't be.Note I said aluminum welder.If he hasn't,tell him to leave the gear lube in,it absorbs some of the heat.

An update to the lower unit repair: I had a welder install a patch and grind it out. It isn't perfect but it is very close. At the same time he was able to straighten it (it was bent when I got the boat). Until I use the engine I don't know if there is any damage due to the heat involved in the process, but he said he does many of these and has never had a problem.

cant see it being an issue - alu is a great conducter of heat too.. and the lower unit is quite beefy - i would watch for vibration in case sth it misaligned down there..

Back