Removing VRO from 9090 merc

M

Mack Mc Kim

How do I remove VRO and g

How do I remove VRO and go back to pre. mix

"Mack,

On the port side of

"Mack,

On the port side of the crankcase, towards the front of the block, you will see the oil pump. It will have a tube from the oil reservoir, and another tube leading to the fuel pump.

Cut the tube near the fuel pump and plug it. This must be a good seal, otherwise the pump will draw air, and that is not good.

You will probaly also want to disconnect the warning circuit from the oil system.

"

Tonyob Thanks forthe help i

Tonyob Thanks forthe help it sounds simple if we ever get rid of this winter I will get it changed

" Why would you want to disabl

" Why would you want to disable the oil injection? All of these outboard manufacturers have had years to de-bug these systems. When you premix, you must mix for wide open throttle at all times -your oil bill will at least double. Your outboard has a variable ratio system. Probably around 150 to 1 at idle and close to 50 to 1 at WOT. Your two-cycle oil bill and spark plug bill will both increase greatly. "

" Bubba,

You are correct, b

" Bubba,

You are correct, but on these Mercurys the oil pump is driven by a gear that goes around the crankshaft. If it strips, you have to remove the crank to fix it, so many people decide to revert to mixing the oil manually. Then, someday, when the engine needs to be rebuilt, they can replace the gear.

Tony "

less moving parts less can go

less moving parts less can go wrong. quicksilver is a lot cheaper than a powerhead rebuild.

" Ahhh!, now I remember - the

" Ahhh!, now I remember - the old Mercury plastic oil drive gear that is held together with a couple of alan screws. - Thanks Tony
Bubba "

Back