Logo

Removing Oil Injection Mercury 150

Hi,

I am considering removing Oil injection on a 1987 Mercury 150 xr2. I have the mercury engine manual and have become familiar with the oil injection system.

I am thinking of leaving the injection components in place and just redirect the pumped oil back into the return to the large tank.

Is there any documentation on configuring the Alarm system to not beep for oil conditions but still allow the temperature portion to work?

Any other input would be appreciated as well.

thanks

They sell a oil inj. block off kit you can use... replaces the gear and eliminates the pump. Then, disconnect
the ele. plug and mix 45 to 50 to one! Fuel line goes directly to top carb.

Two separate circuits! The sensors for temp. gauge and overheat are at the top of the cyl. heads
Sensor with one wire is overheat... disconnect and ground the wire, horn should blow (with ign, on)
Test only...

Re-connect wire!

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying.

another question since you seem to know.

my oil pump sensor (blue-white to ground) voltage stays at 4.5vdc. Even after multiple revolutions of the motor it never drops off and always stays at 4.5vdc.

Does this say the sensor is bad? Can I just disconnect the sensor to test that?

Mercury has been notorious for problems with that plastic gear striping out, thus kicking
on that sensor! I wouldn't bother diagnosing the system! Pull it out and replace with
block-off kit!

[FONT=&quot]My engine is a 97 Mercury 150 xr. I am seeing a lot of info on removing the oil injection system, which I was about to start doing. My alarm started going off the last time I was in my Whaler and my power was limited to under 1600 rpms. I deduced that the alarm was not coming from the under hood oil tank. I followed the oil pump wiring and unplugged the blue/white wire coming from the pump to the electrical sensor (black box) and the alarm stopped sounding. My question is: why disconect the entire system along with the oil pump plug when this in essence fixes the problem (other than not having that particular alarm any longer) if I am sure that the pump is delivering oil to the engine. Maybe I am not seeing something else that could go wrong by doing this because it seems way to simple. Is there something that could go wrong by doing this that I am not seeing?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]

Back