Logo

Removing Clutch Dog on Johnson 1980 55 HP (55EL80C), bolt question.

jasondainter

Regular Contributor
Hi Folks.

I bought by first boat recently, a little slipper with a Johnson (Evinrude) 1980 55 HP from 1980. Its a 55EL80C though I have the parts manual catalogue for models J55RCS to J55RLCS and that seems to be identical.

I have a problem with reverse gear not engaging properlty and since I tried tweaking the little cogs at the top of the engine (no joy) I think the clutch dog may be worn.

Ive started the process taking it apart and took the prop off (with pin) and now as the next step need to take off the bearing house (part 384603).

Ive read that these parts are stubborn to get out, and don't get have an appropriate bearing puller. I a cheaper one for a local store (I live in Sweden) but the 'hooks' on the puller dont fit into the housing so wont work.

HOWEVER, my question was about the 3 bolts that seem to be inside which Ive seen in videos that some people remove BEFORE taking the housing off. My question is does anyone know with this model if those 3 bolts (part number 320041) have to be removed before I can pull out the housing, or will the housing come off without taking the bolts off?

Heres a picture of what I mean (taken from http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1980/J55RLCSA/GEARCASE,ELECTRIC START/parts.html)

GKRqiMd.png

Many thanks ahead!

Jason

Racerone (or other kind folks here!) im trying to figure out the steps involved in taking out the clutch dog only. Currently I didnt take the lower unit off the boat (and the shifter rods are still connected). Is that possible when taking the clutch dog out of this model or do I need to take the whole lower unit off and disconnect those 'gear pushing rods' from the top?

Also do you know if the pinion (seen below) needs to be removed also?

If anyone happens to have the manual of this page or could list the steps involved I would be forever grateful!

http://i.imgur.com/3zZOpJI.png

Attachments

• pinion.jpg
    pinion.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 31
You are looking for a short cut ?-----You are wasting your time.------The lower unit MUST be taken off.-----THe bearing housing must come out---Pinion must come off.---The driveshaft must come out.--The entire propshaft assembly MUST come out.----------.

Thanks for clarifying, much appreciated.

I'll take the whole lower unit off then.

Do you have any tips on what to grease the parts with when I put them back. I have 'marine grease' is this suitable and do you know where it must be greased? I've seen a few videos on YouTube of taking all apart but not many on the reassembly.

Also what gear should I put the boat in when I take the lower unit off / back on is there any preference?

🙏 thanks!

Remove the starter.-----Remove pin in shift rod.----Does not matter what gear it is in.----Why do you suspect that clutch dog is bad ?-----What happened ?--------What is the motor doing , not doing ?

During the last season the reverse gear was not engaging properly. It was grinding a lot and I tried to adjust the little plastic wheels to adjust when reverse kicks in or not, but not joy. In some positions I managed to get the plastic wheels in a place where reverse WOULD engage, but then forward gear would not engage properly so I had to adjust them back (to favour forwards and had to put up with not having a reverse all summer).

My strong guess is the clutch dog needs replacing and is probably worn from what I've read online.

Is there any more details instructions somewhere on the whole process that anyone knows of?

During the last season the reverse gear was not engaging properly. It was grinding a lot and I tried to adjust the little plastic wheels to adjust when reverse kicks in or not, but not joy. In some positions I managed to get the plastic wheels in a place where reverse WOULD engage, but then forward gear would not engage properly so I had to adjust them back (to favour forwards and had to put up with not having a reverse all summer).

My strong guess is the clutch dog needs replacing and is probably worn from what I've read online.

Is there any more details instructions somewhere on the whole process that anyone knows of?
I have the same problem with mine. Did you ever get this problem solved? If so what was the problem?

Back