Logo

Reinstalling lower unit

Lance Sanden

Here's my problem. I hands a 1983 Mercury 40hp outboard. I removed lower unit and replaced impeller. Now having trouble putting lower unit back together. I think I'm getting stuck with the shifter (rotary style). I'm new to this whole marine thing so any help us awesome.

Put both the lower unit and top shifter in forward.

Rotate the lower shifter anti-clockwise to remove all the slack. (That black plastic shifter cam MUST be in the correct position with the slack removed.)

Use a bungee cord to hold the weight of the lower unit for you, then fiddle the water tube in place and start it moved upward.

First to engage is the driveshaft, so have someone rotate the flywheel until the splines engage.

Next is the shifter. Gently bump the shifter slide until you feel the splines engage.

Good luck!

Jeff

On the lower unit, find the shift shaft. I assume you already know where it is because you're getting stuck on it :p grab a pair of pliers or similar, protect shaft with a rag if you wish and rotate. Rotating it you will find it has 3 positions which is will pop into as you rotate, these are reverse forward and neutral. I forgot which direction is which gear but easy to figure it out by turning prop, neutral prop spins both ways, forward is locked one way spins the other and reverse is locked both ways. Now, rotate lower unit shift shaft into forward, it will pop in and then if you continue to turn freely if you continue rotating it, you want to leave it just where it pops in and no further. Now, put the forward controls into forward also if they aren't already and throw her up making sure you also align the water tube.

Rotate flywheel any way you like, one such way is to use you're manual pull start rope, another is to get a socket and ratchet and place on a flywheel bolt and attempt to tighten it. Another option is to push the prop the way it is locked this will rotate the driveshaft and more of a 1 person method.

I hope that makes sense !

P.s when I say locked this is only the case when lower unit is attached, replace locked with driveshaft spins if that makes sense

Back