Logo

Rebulding force 1994 150hp

tomgso

I have a 1994 force 150 runs good most of the time. What should it cost to have it rebuilt completly.Is it worth it? Or just repower with a used newer motor? I just can"t spend 15000 on new motor.

"Personally, I would find some

"Personally, I would find something else. The motor will never be worth the cost of the rebuild. I had a 1997 200 Yamaha carbed 2 stroke which is completely rebuilt (0 hours on it) offered to me for $6,000.00. I bet I could have bought it for 5K. Those kind of deals are around if you look."

"I agree with Rollie on this o

"I agree with Rollie on this one. Although I have rebuilt a couple of Force's for guys.

They are a very rebuildable motor, lot's of "meat" in the cylinders and many aftermarket companies can supply you with pistons, rings, bearing etc (Wiseco is decent quality and cheap).

Since this is a 5 cylinder you would be looking at about 1500 bucks (including the cost of the machine shop to either hone or bore the cylinders) if you did the rebuild yourself.

Having it done at a shop would add about 1000 bucks to that cost.

That would give you pretty much all new "guts".

You might be able to get away with a hone and a re-ring, but if you are going to crack the block you may as well do everything, because odds are, if you don't, you will be cracking her again in a year or two.

What really sucks on these is the ignition system. To replace yours (OEM) it would cost close to 2 grand, and it's getting old enough that you could start seeing issues, particularly with the CDI boxes that retail for between 400-600 each, and you have 3 of them.

If she is still running half decent I would run it until it coughs out a ring and then look for a decent "used" replacement...."

Back