Logo

reasembleing of electric shift gearcase.

48tony

Regular Contributor
Hi,Guyies I am in qustion on a couplle of things.First off there are 3 bearings 1 upper driveshaft bearing 1 lower driveshaft bearing 1 bearing in the oilpump.Should i use a molly grease for the driveshaft upper + lower bearings?And the pump bearing does that get grease or does the type c gear oil lube this pump bearing? Allso should I use grease on the thrust washers and thrust bearings ?Looking for any helpfull hints with this reasemble.Thanks Tony

Do not use grease on any of the mechanical parts !!!!!!!!-------------------Only put some grease between the back to back seals.

All the bearings will be submerged in oil for start-up---------no problems there.--------------test the thing before you install it on the motor !!!!!!!!

Yes,I do have the manule on this ele shift.But the manule is real vage .You mentioned shims i have no shims and again the manule says nothing about them.It seems to be a pretty straight forward job. aline pump in case with alinement pin on pump and seat assemble ring clip.And the rest is thrust washer+ thrust bearing gears+ prop shaft 2 more ring clips slide bearing housing into place 4 bolts done.Or am I over steping some key moves on this reassemblly.Can you explaine the gear lash to me and any other things I may be over looking .Thanks Tony

Some of the early " Hydro- electric " units are precision made and no shims required.-------------Gears won't be banging together !!--------------Hydro-electric is not the same as " electramatic " -----------------Is the pinion thrust bearing under the waterpump or just above the pinion ????

Racer the thrust washer+ bearing are seated just above the pinion gear,Allso wear the lower driveshaft bearing is pressed up into the inner caseing.And getting back to the driveshaft bearings You guies say no grease neededon them .I can see the lower driveshaft bearing getting a type c oil bath when in motion but how does the upper bearing get its lubercation.Or does the type c oil find its way all the way up to this point.

You really should not worry about lubrication of your wonderful electric shift lower unit !!!--------Fill it with oil ----------test it before installing --------If good -----------install it on the motor and enjoy.-----------------You are imagining too many things on this fine piece of machinery.---sorry.------If oil did not get up the the bearing below the waterpump then the lower unit would have seized long ago !!!------------No shimming required on the gears of that unit !!!!!!!!!!!

Back