Logo

RD-12 Trouble with new points

PG01

Hello,

I purchased 2 new sets of OEM points from a reputable shop in my area,
and have installed them on my RD-12.

The website is not letting me upload my pictures, I think they are too big.
Here is an imgur link to see them: https://imgur.com/a/ElPYX8R

I installed them according to tutorials I have seen on YouTube, but for some reason the
points are not able to touch each other flush no matter how much I adjust them. Is this
normal or does anybody have an idea of what is wrong?

Thank you for all replies. I appreciate any help.

Nice examples of the sloppy quality points sets they are sending out these days. Lots of complaints have been posted here.

Well I guess its good to know its not my fault,
I will try and get my money back.
I was expecting top quality since they charge $20 CAD for each set.
Apparently not lol.

Those screws look pretty tough. The previous work was done by an ape. Points can be micro "tweeked", rarely do you see a perfect mating surface. Once set to close squarely, they should last for 20 years. Be sure to lubricate that post, don't install dry.

Those screws look pretty tough. The previous work was done by an ape. Points can be micro "tweeked", rarely do you see a perfect mating surface. Once set to close squarely, they should last for 20 years. Be sure to lubricate that post, don't install dry.

Yea I had bought the motor from an auction for cheap, so I guess the guy(s) who had it before me were apes lol. Most screws related to the flywheel and ignition look like that, I already had to re-thread the flywheel screws cause they were jiggling when fully screwed in. Not sure how the ape managed to do that, but I guess I should expect some problems from a 70 year old outboard.

So you think It is possible to tweek/bend the points so they mate together good enough to work?
I bought the points 3 months ago and just got around to working on the motor, so I have a feeling this shop isn't going to refund me.

Yes, you can make them work fine. Kinda like buying a scope to put on your deer rifle....gotta sight it in when your done mounting it. Then it's good for 20 years if you take care.

Those points will work fine the way they are.---Try and bend them a bit if you like.-----Use a meter to set the spot where they open and it will run just fine.

Back