Logo

Raw Water Problems!

LakeErieMonster

Hello. I am green to this whole forum thing, espexially on here . Little back story. Im Josh, 24 years old and just completed my first year as a Marine Tech. I work at my cities biggest shop, but now Im need help of my own.

I recently purchased a 1976, 19ft Mirro Marine Rally Cruiser, open bow, powered by a Merc 165 Inline 6cyl, which I have repaired, and currently have running great! I do however, have an issue. The sterndrive that came withit was munched. upper AND lower. So, I decided to buy one my teacher just pulled off of his boat. both were a 1.55 ratio and it was pumping water all the way up until I helped him take it off.
Now this boat is 41 years old. Although I know this boat ran the summer of 2016. Here's the issue. I replaced the impeller, housing and base, because I felt it needed it. First run, after bolting it back on the bell housing, went smooth. Ramped it great, stated right up.....and started overheating. I shut it off, and never started it again.
Symptoms I am having are weird. Such as, with the boat at the docks, it seems to make bubbles out of the water pick ups. i do have a little bit of water entering the thermostat housing, but very litte at that. Knowing what i had already done, I perceived the engine circulating pump was defective. Now, I did not and have not done enough work with those to know how to test, or what to test. I will chexk service manual tomorrow at work. Well, I tok a flat head screw driver and made a scoring on the side of the what I think was the rotating part of the circulating pump?! Anyways, I rolled her over a few times and check to see if my scoring was visible. It was. looks as if nothing had moved. I immediately think crap. its probably rusted or something not freed up.
Heres my question. I sat and thought about it, and being in a belt secquence, if the belt was loose would that cause this sort of problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I think you missed something with the impeller replacement. Pull it to double check your work. May have missed the guide tube the copper tube goes in or forgot the impeller keyway.

that happens when no water is leaving the motor. With the drive off stick a hose in the water inlet and run the motor.
If its normal now, you have a water pump /water flow issue

Maybe the water pocket cover and gasket is damaged on the upper unit drive shaft housing as that is a common source of overheat situations on these style stern drives....Even if it's not the issue it' best that you fully-know about this cover. Hot exhaust flow could become mixed in with the cooling water flow if this cover or gasket is compromised.

Item numbers 7 and 9,http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30832/1574/60

And the seal # 8 is good too?

Be careful with the bolts to the cover.. They can break/snap off sort of easily.

Using clear water hose looking for air bubbles is one of your best diagnostic tools in situations such as these....Good luck in your new boating career.:cool:

Last edited:
I looked at items #7 & #9 and replaced them, since I did remove them to inspect. nothing looked out of the oridnary, but in this field, that doesnt mean much.
When looking at #7, The copper water tube does have quite a bit of play inside of there, as in side to side motion.
I have not tried to run the motor with a water hose directly into the water inlet. Although, when I took the bigger hose off that is connected from the thermostat housing to the block circulating pump, i peeked inside to see what I could. I made a small score on what i thought would be the item that spins and circulates the water. With my roll-over button, I I found that my score marks did not move. Would I even be able to see the fins that the circ. pump uses to move the water around?

I think tomorrow I will try shoving a hose up into the water inlet and see what i find, and report back.

Ooookay! Sorry about the time lapss! Been Pretty busy at work!

So, I tried the above test, and i got water into the block, risers, etc. I did however drop the drive, and install it on my buddies 77 and the drive pumped water for his boat.
So i re-installed my drive back on my boat and nothing. I took the hose off, which feeds the water from tbe drive through the transom, and into the thermo. housing and it looked as if the engine was trying to push the water back out the house and into the drive. Which would explain why it seems like the drive is making more bubbles than sucking water. Could the water circ pump be responsible for this if it isnt turning?

Are you sure the coupler is ok....in other words, with the engine running, is the input shaft spinning at the same rate as the engine???

I believe so. It shifts just fine. I used our tool at work to check the splines and everything looked alright. My teacher(Merc Certified Tech) looked over the coupler when we rebuilt the engine and it wasnt stripped or broken.
I think Im going to split the drive again and inspect it further. When I take tve hose off the thermo housing, it seems to be spitting the exhaust back out the intake and not the exhaust side.

if the drive functioned ok on another boat, why split it again? Think about what's 'different' in the two different configurations....

Are you SURE the hoses are routed correctly? Find OEM shop manual for that engine and check cooling system flow diagram...

Back